[Cin] Cinelerra & GPU

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 17:04:51 CEST 2019

Ugin:

> I did not find anything in the descriptions of the program about using
> the GPU. Is there such a possibility? Where can I read about it?
>
> If we understand what you are asking correctly, here is what gg had to say:

All OpenGL code uses the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) just like all
Cinelerra code use the CPU (Central Processing Unit).  So if you have
Settings->Preferences->Playback A/B, Video Driver set to X11-OpenGL you are
using the GPU for:
  - line drawings
  - fill
  - all GL primitive operations

If you are specifically inquiring about use of CUDA software with the
meaning as follows:

"CUDA is an API  model which allows software developers to use a
CUDA-enabled Graphics Processing Unit for general purpose processing, aka
GPGPU (General-Purpose computing on Graphics Processing Units). The CUDA
platform is a software layer that gives direct access to the GPU's virtual
instruction set and parallel computational elements." (paraphrased from
Wikipedia).

...then the answer is "no".  Probably about a year or 2 ago, GG tested Cuda
code with Cinelerra-GG.  It did not perform well.  Some operations
performed better but, sadly, most of what Cin does, it did not do well.
Cuda is mostly a "block oriented algorithm" which works well for such
things as "a flock of birds all flying next to each other".

After hearing this from GG, I do not think it would be appropriate to
include this in the manual, although I am always looking for more to add.
GG/phyllis