[Cin] Cinelerra & GPU

Pierre autourduglobe p.autourduglobe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 04:46:37 CEST 2019

I wish it had worked better....

I remind you that my computer includes an Intel i7 3770k CPU and a
Nvidia GTX-750Ti video card.

I did a lot of tests with the same.xml file that contains 4 mixers. Each
time I checked both with mpeg proxies and original DNxHD sources.

All my tests were done with the X11 video driver only, because the
X11-OpenGL driver has been crashing Cin-GG systemically for some time.

I have installed
libva-dev alone
then
libvdpau-dev alone
then
libva-dev and libvdpau-dev together

In each case I launched Cin-GG by
CIN_HW_DEV=vaapi ./cin
or by
CIN_HW_DEV=vdpau ./cin
And I also compared by launching Cin-GG
simply by./cin

Only the mpeg proxys files showed a slight decrease in CPU usage
(33%/48%) in combination with the installation of libva-dev and the
launch by CIN_HW_DEV=vdpau./cin.
If libvdpau-dev is also installed in addition to libva-dev, there is no
impact on this result, but libva-dev is required to see this reduction.

In any case, I have never observed any difference in CPU usage with
source media in DNxHD.

Pierre