[Cin] MLRAW

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:00:49 CET 2019

В сообщении от Wednesday 13 February 2019 00:56:50 edouard chalaron написал(а):
> Point was to avoid huge intermediate files, I think, and save some
> time, too.
> But well, ffmpeg apparently handles those files a bit wrongly - for
> example by
> default it tries to stuff data into just rgb24 - probably ok for
> display, but
> whole point of those huge  raw files was additional color precision
> (and
> avoidance of h264 artefacts).
>
> Agreed but there is a trade off between time and storage.Storage
> getting cheaper by the minute, I choose to use storage, on RAID0 or
> SSDs
> I read that you want to avoid big files and also avoid h264 artefacts,
> fair enough, I think everyone would like it.Truth is ... I don't
> believe it's that possible. Exporting Raw to H264 for editing is not a
> good idea anyway as you mentionnedAnd getting Raw to a readable format
> is not fast and it has to be done at some at some stage.
> Unless GG comes up with another miracle ! :-D
> So which codec then .. PRORES does handle 10 bits and up 4444, which is
> pretty good for color resolution.DNX was better but more limiting and
> not sure if it handles more than 24with PRORES you can throw any
> geometry, frame rate, color depth or about
> You can also export in TIFF either 24 or 48 bits with ffmpeg (even more
> than 48 actually), depending on your source.Cin is very fast to open a
> sequence of TIFF files.Then you are sure that you are not loosing any
> color info, PRORES still being a (slightly) lossy codec.
> I dont think there is any point exporting in h264 unless you do a
> lossless, but then ... export in TIFF files, faster / better. A bit of
> a Neanderthal solution, I agree, but reliable.
> As for ffmpeg reading the stream, ffmpeg won't find out, it's raw
> video, there is zero info as per what ffmpeg should read, hence the
> command line aboveIn my case it's either rgbXX or bgrXX (I think there
> is more than just these 2 though) As I see it, trying to incorporate
> raw video in Cin* is reinventing the wheel.There is already the tools
> needed for conversion and Cinelerra is an editing software not a video
> converter.
> Just sharing my experience / needs / ideas etc ... CheersEd

Thanks! Sure, I was pointed at already-existing pre-processor/convertor, posted
link to Cin forum. It sort of assumes proprietary software inter-action (Final
Cut Pro), but may be things can be worked other way around, and so they will
add Cinelerra on linux :}

(but for this developer(s) of this software must be aware about  Cinelerra )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mmnG5uBJok (english version, MLVapp review)