[Cin] Automatically Save Snapshots To Current Project Directory

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:04:55 CET 2019

I opened up a MantisBT issue #147 for this.  Below is what it says.
The default path for snapshots/grabshots is /tmp but this can be changed in
Settings->Preferences, Interface tab, Snapshot path (which is also the path
used for grabshots). However, changing this for each project can be
somewhat cumbersome and easily forgotten.

On the other hand, *saving them to the current project directory by default
would be convenient and desirable.*

A partial attempt was made to do this (April 2018 based on a user request
at the time) but was backed out. Here is why:
1) What is a project directory??? This is the fundamental question that
first needs to be addressed. Not everyone even has a project directory
defined but just load files willy-nilly from all different directories.
2) When a question came up from gg on which way to go, I was unable to
competently answer that so that is why the effort was stopped.
3) What do you do in this case? What should the program do in another
situation?

You can still see remnants of the previous effort when you bring up "New
project" and see the fields "Create project folder in" and "Project Name".

If some basic algorithmic rules can be established ahead of time, gg may be
able to implement this. But he needs a set of definitions to cover all of
the possibilities. Ideas? Suggestions? for everything is needed and much
appreciated so GG can avoid "guessing" what to do in each case.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:14 PM <ben at innovationplex.com> wrote:

> As of right now, the default path for snapshots is /tmp (which means that
> they first have to be moved manually and then reimported into the project).

Another question is what is an "old project"?  Is that the directory where
the XML is loaded from?  Thanks for more input.