[Cin] Cin-GG git fails to fetch ffmpeg.git if requested

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 04:20:50 CEST 2019

Hi, Andrew, sorry for the late reply and THANK YOU for the information
about nvenc below.

as you can see it choked at "git clone yes ffmpeg.git" ... may be removing
> 'yes' will make it work, until finish or at least next err... Time to patch.

GG checked a patch into the GIT repository today.  The short response is
use the latest GIT with this:

#!/bin/bash
( ./autogen.sh
  ./configure --with-single-user --with-booby --with-git-ffmpeg=
https://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
  make && make install ) 2>&1 | tee log
mv Makefile Makefile.cfg
cp Makefile.devel Makefile

He says you will understand the above.  Basically you do not provide the
"yes" but rather the actual URL location of the ffmpeg git.

The procedure for obtaining the latest ffmpeg IS NOT KEPT UP-TO-DATE.  So
the line numbers will always change.  He generally only updates those line
numbers when he adds a new released/stable version of ffmpeg to
CinelerraGG.  Ffmpeg is constantly changing and many times the git version
is not as stable as desired (just like CinGG sometimes in the middle of the
month.)  But he has updated it today and he ran it and it built correctly
so it should for you too.

> *PS: reason why I tried this was interesting commit in ffmpeg, removing
> nvenc from non-free: *

*WHOA!!! Huge Thank You for discovering this and passing it along.*

> Also, I found this text, explaining various options you can pass to hw
> encoders:
>
> https://gist.github.com/Brainiarc7/4b49f463a08377530df6cecb8171306a
> FFmpeg and libav's playbook: Advanced encoding options with hardware-based
> acceleration, NVIDIA's NVENC and Intel's VAAPI-based encoder.
> -----------------
>
> ffmpeg -h encoder=h264_vaapi
>
> Encoder h264_vaapi [H.264/AVC (VAAPI)]:
>     General capabilities: delay
>     Threading capabilities: none
>     Supported pixel formats: vaapi_vld
> h264_vaapi AVOptions:
>   -qp                <int>        E..V.... Constant QP (for P-frames;
> scaled by qfactor/qoffset for I/B) (from 0 to 52) (default 20)
>   -quality           <int>        E..V.... Set encode quality (trades off
> against speed, higher is faster) (from 0 to 8) (default 0)
>   -low_power         <int>        E..V.... Use low-power encoding mode
> (experimental: only supported on some platforms, does not support all
> features) (from 0 to 1) (default 0)
> -----------------

I will have to study the meaning of the above.

> Also, I wonder if some ffmpeg filters, based on va-api  (deinterlace,
> scale, brightness ...) or opencl will work for at least Intel/AMD ... But
> then Cinelerra probably should understand what kind  of hw (GPU) based
> filters attached to track, and not call download from GPU until first sw
> effect appear ... (a bit like it should work with OpenGL today).

Hmmm.  GG has not had a chance to think about this yet.  But first he is
going to see if he can get ffmpeg nvenc working with Cinelerra.  Earlier
when he first looked into it, there was still a requirement for a lot more
libraries to be included.    gg/Phyllis