[Cin] LV2_blacklist.txt & Debian packaging improvements contributions

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 01:50:35 CEST 2019

Olivier:

Now that things as settled around, and now that I'm good with the
> website French translation, I'm taking back the packaging of Cin-GG for
> my audio-linux debian-based distribution (and maybe later, a potential
> inclusion into Debian mainstream, but... one step after another).

When you do get this packaged with audio-linux LibraZiK, it would be good
to add this to cinelerra-gg.org same as AV Linux and Bodhi Linux.

> Doing that, I found a bunch of LV2 plugins which are avoided Cin to be
> launched and then, which needs to be added to the LV2_blacklist.txt file
> (after I did that locally, Cin is launching fine). Those following lines
> are the culprits:
>
> file:///usr/lib/lv2/MonoEffect.ingen/MonoEffect.ttl
> file:///usr/lib/lv2/MonoInstrument.ingen/MonoInstrument.ttl
> file:///usr/lib/lv2/StereoEffect.ingen/StereoEffect.ttl
> file:///usr/lib/lv2/StereoInstrument.ingen/StereoInstrument.ttl
> http://example.org/raffo
> http://www.wodgod.com/newtonator/1.0
> https://sami.boukortt.com/plugins/intersect#Intersect
> https://sami.boukortt.com/plugins/intersect#SymmetricDifference
> https://sami.boukortt.com/plugins/intersect#Upmix

The latest GIT checkin a few minutes ago, includes the updated
lv2_blacklist.txt with the first 4 lines BUT I could not test it.  You
already did so it should be fine.  HOWEVER, I do not understand the last 5
URL lines.  None of them worked for me and I am confused as to why they
were included.

> Also, please, find attached an improved version for the
> ./blds/debian/control file which contains those improvements/changes:

At the end of the month, GG is really pressed for time doing all of the
distros.  He is not very good at Debian system packaging/maintenance -- we
work on Fedora.  Today he is trying to jam in some changes that got put off
while working on the update of OpenGL.  We will save your "control" file
and work on looking more carefully at your suggested improvements.  He did
take the time to evaluate it, found the duplicate libraries that your
control file pointed out and the libusb missing one and alphabetized all of
the dependencies to make it easier to find a specific one.  The reason for
not listing them one per line despite the fact that it is more
human-readable is that just like cpu-s, memory, and disks, the *screen is a
resource* -- most people do not think of that as such, but when you are
working with several windows on several program routines simultaneously,
you need space. So he really needs to see fewer lines to get to the one he
needs to see.  Also, time is a big factor and when he does all of the
monthly builds, he uses *xen* and he has to edit a bunch of individual
files before starting to get the builds to work and wants to quickly find
the lines he has to modify in each.

Their are some real experts on package control for all of the distros -- in
the commercial world where he used to work, there was a "builder" who took
care of all of this type of stuff.  We are using bare bones / old stuff
just to manage.  Maybe some day, a Cinelerra builder will show up and take
care of all of this!

> -- why is inkscape needed for building ? It sounds like a mistake at a
> first glance.

There is a plugin called SVG for Inkscape so that is why it is needed.

> -- why is e2fsprogs needed ?

We did not find the exact reason -- i think it is for mount bluray - I will
see if I can find out for sure but at any rate he does not want to take it
out until we are sure.

> -- same for linux-firmware, why is that needed for building ?

The main reason for this is supposed to be OpenGL + the TV tuner _
hardware.  I will look at this again too since you say it is not even in
the Debian repository anymore.

> - The "Standards-Version" number is currently defined to "5.1.20190430".
> It is not supposed to be the program version number (which is defined in
> the debian/changelog file), but a number matching a Debian standard. If
> you're OK with that, I would set it up to 3.9.8 which is the standard
> for Debian Stretch (current stable - Debian 9) and which will work as
> well for the next stable (Buster - Debian 10).

Every month when gg does a build for Debian, it errors out UNLESS he change
the Standards-Version in the control file -- so we are surprised that he
could put this at 3.9.8 and it would work, month after month.  Again, this
may be because of xen.  Also, this is why he leaves this line at the
beginning of the file -- to make it easy to find to change it.

Thanks for all of your input.  If I find out anything more, I will let you
know.  gg/Phyllis