[Cin] rav1e - av1 encoder now can be wrappend in ffmpeg (git)

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 19:37:42 CET 2019

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 6:34 AM Andrew Randrianasulu <
randrianasulu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just for keeping record
>

> https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/commit/d8bf24459b694338de4ceb2a2e6d4d2949d6658d
> avcodec: Add librav1e encoder
>
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=rav1e-0.1-Released
>
> But seriously, I don't have rust installed, I may try at some point ...

I wish they had not written it in Rust.  It makes it nearly impossible to
add it to CinGG for all of the different distros.  We have enough speaking
languages in the world already and no one is inventing more of those so why
do we need to invent another programming language?  Why didn't they just
write it in APL?  ha, ha.

Even though the article below says that the encoder in ffmpeg is now usable
and it is dated March 4, 2019, I don't see it as being usable at all still:

https://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=130284

A 90 second video rendered with av1 took 49 minutes.