[Cin] magicyuv encoding/screen capture in cinGG

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 10:17:37 CEST 2019

В сообщении от Sunday 20 October 2019 10:39:06 Andrea paz написал(а):
> Always interesting are your tests; thank you.
> I've seen that Magicyuv is not open source, but it's free for 8 bits.

support for decoding and encoding was added into ffmpeg (open-source implementation) in 2016 and 2018:

search https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git for magicyuv:

2018-06-05  Paul B Mahol  avcodec/magicyuvenc: mark as not more experimental
2017-10-28  Paul B Mahol  avcodec: add MagicYUV encoder
2016-05-31  Paul B Mahol  avocdec: add MagicYUV decoder

from https://git.ffmpeg.org/gitweb/ffmpeg.git/blob/HEAD:/libavcodec/magicyuvenc.c

AVCodec ff_magicyuv_encoder = {
    .name             = "magicyuv",
    .long_name        = NULL_IF_CONFIG_SMALL("MagicYUV video"),
    .type             = AVMEDIA_TYPE_VIDEO,
    .id               = AV_CODEC_ID_MAGICYUV,
    .priv_data_size   = sizeof(MagicYUVContext),
    .priv_class       = &magicyuv_class,
    .init             = magy_encode_init,
    .close            = magy_encode_close,
    .encode2          = magy_encode_frame,
    .capabilities     = AV_CODEC_CAP_FRAME_THREADS | AV_CODEC_CAP_INTRA_ONLY,
    .pix_fmts         = (const enum AVPixelFormat[]) {
                          AV_PIX_FMT_GBRP, AV_PIX_FMT_GBRAP, AV_PIX_FMT_YUV422P,
                          AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P, AV_PIX_FMT_YUV444P, AV_PIX_FMT_YUVA444P, AV_PIX_FMT_GRAY8,
                          AV_PIX_FMT_NONE
                      },

so yeah, 8bit encode, yet most screens still 8 bit per component (in framebuffer) :}
Decoder support 10 bit, but I have no such examples, and mplayer a bit picky about what I put in codecs.conf

> From wikipedia I found the codecs Lagarith and Turing, do you know them?
> Lagarith (lossless) seems to be the highest quality but also very slow
> in single threads:
> https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

yeah, I think my friend tried it, very slow it was ....

> Turing (lossy) is the analogue of h265 but, it seems, much more efficient:
> http://turingcodec.org/

From this page I see it just another HEVC/h265 encoder, analogue of x265? never tried it ....

"The Turing codec is an H.265/HEVC software video encoder and decoder for efficient video compression"
If they have ffmpeg patch you can try it :}