[Cin] Stupid question about pixel conversions in CinGG (xfer functions)

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:54:38 CET 2020

yes this looks like it could be good.  However, I am just one coder.
This could take quite some time.  It is true that a lot of the calculations
in the xfer setup are not the most optimal (BC_CModel et al) but these
are more to ensure consistency, not speed.  The bulk of the time is spent
shoveling data from here to there.  Surprisingly, one big problem is to
decide how big the slices should be, relative to the task setup for the
slicer.  For a small frame, this overhead is a considerable fraction of
time.

Pixel format colorspace mapping is done using YUV::yuv.
 YUV::yuv.rgb_to_yuv_8(r, g, b, y, u, v);
YUV::yuv.yuv_to_rgb_8(r, g, b, y, u, v);
which is applied in the transfer functions generated by bccmdl.py

Insead of using a constant lookup table (lut) that could be changed
easily to a pointer, as in yuv->rgb_to_yuv_8
since the lut init already accepts (Kb,Kr) , and can be created and
cached pretty easily.  The xfer function could use a lut
that depends on the demand.  On some examination, I found that
the number of operational parameters needed makes the colorspace
conversion messy: in_cs, out_cs, in_range, out_range, at least... I
was up to 6 params when I decided it was too messy to start that day.
This is manageable, but I am pretty backed up on projects and problems.

The ffmpeg transfer function is great.  It has a lot of parameter
flexibility
and frequently will use asm for the most likely transfers.  Even so, It is
complex, and can be slower than cin.  The colormodel<->AVPixelFormat
mapping is good, but not great.  When frame data is transmitted between
the two, direct moves are used if the mapping is good, and the data is
moved twice when an intermediate compatible format is needed .

A pretty good idea (which CV/Einar uses, so there is a chunk of code
that is already moving this way) might be to abandon the BC_CModels
and use AVPixelFormat.  Then all transfers could be done with
ffmpeg swscale.  This puts all of the eggs in the ffmpeg basket, for
better or worse.  The interface would probably speed up, but all of the
plugins and other stuff would need a lot of work.

There is a  class called LoadBalence (bad name) that creates load
client threads that apply a function to a parameter set (usually a slice).
Row data is usually best when it is memory cache align, and
sequentially/locally processed in non-overlapping chunks.  It is hard
to imagine that using a more complex schedule would improve
throughput.  I have not benchmarked the xfer recently, but that may
be a good idea to see if thirdparty functions offer help.

Permuting/Remapping color components  is a really
weird idea in the first place, since everything seems to agree on
what RGB is, and nobody seems to agree on what YUV is.
The attached picture shows an RGB cube (smaller black cube
inside the others) and the enclosing YUV cubes for BT601,
BT709, and BT2020.   The black line in the middle is the white line
which goes from YUV(0.0,0.5,0.5) black to YUV(1.0,0.5,0.5) white.
As you can see, a bunch of the numerical space is outside of the
RGB cube.  In fact, since the diagonal of RGB(grey scale) is an
axis, it makes the YUV cube approx 2.8 times as large, and so
the coverage is really very poor.  Almost 2/3 of the YUV colors
are not legal RGB values.

To much data...
morrroww