[Cin] Cool stuff

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 01:43:12 CEST 2020

В сообщении от Wednesday 16 September 2020 18:26:07 Sam via Cin написал(а):
> Hi guys,
>
> i have found an interesting video which shows how you can convert
> footage with a lower FPS to a video with a much higher FPS without any
> losses.

Not exactly this type of cools stuff, but I found interesting article:

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/blog/2020/09/21/open-source-meets-super-resolution-part-1/

----quote----
Performance
Despite their great upscaling performance, deep learning backed Super-Resolution methods cannot be easily applied to real-world applications due to their heavy computational requirements. At Collabora we have addressed this issue by introducing an accurate and light-weight deep network for video super-resolution.

To achieve a good tradeoff between computational complexity and reproduction quality, we implemented a cascading mechanism on top of a standard network architecture, producing a light-weight solution. We also used a multi-tile approach in which we divide a large input into smaller tiles to better utilize memory bandwidth and overcome size constraints posed by certain frameworks and devices. Multi-tile significantly improves inference speed. This approach can be extended from single image SR to video SR where video frames are treated as a group of multiple tiles.

We designed our solution on top of the open-source Panfrost video driver, allowing us to offload compute to the GPU.

Coming up in Part 2 of this series, we'll take a deep dive into how our model works, and how you can use free, open source software to achieve a higher level of compression than existing video compression methods. Stay tuned!
---quote end----

Might be interesting  read, waiting for second part!

PS: as far as I understand this "AI" thing actually just 'invent' a lot of specialized algorithms on the fly (while training) and then apply them if similar situation in image occurs ?