[Cin] dav1d 0.5.1 patch fix?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:04:42 CET 2021

On Friday, December 3, 2021, Andrea paz <gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com> wrote:

> Using the same AV1 videos but in HD resolution instead of FullHD, I
> don't have any problems or even slowdowns in playback and reverse
> playback. I tried both using the 2 exports and "--disable-dav1d" and
> without these configurations: all is fine in both cases.
> Anyway, my VM has always been set up with 8GB of RAM (out of 32
> physical) and 4c/8t for the CPU (out of 8c/16t physical), but
> apparently that's not enough to support FullHD.

may be problem with 32-bit case is limited _virtual_ address space - no
more than 4gb,  and some of it eaten by kenel mapping pci devices and such.
Ironically so-called PAE linux  kernel can address more physical ram than
4gb, yet individual processes limited to some 3gb... or even less (depend
on kernel configuration, vm_split I think...)

> On my system (Arch Linux 64-bit; KDE), I've tried compiling just the
> patch (without export and --disable-dav1d) and it works without
> problems. However, with FullHD videos, playback is smooth but reverse
> playback has some framerate drops.
>
> Sorry for wasting your time behind false problems.

well, they not false just rare (due to limited 32-bit testing). Not like we
can do much about memory exhausting errors.. but this might deserve some
footnote.