[Cin] AppImage for CinelerraGG testing

Walter Casanova wcasanova at disroot.org
Mon Feb 8 18:16:22 CET 2021

El lunes, 8 de febrero de 2021 09:58:06 -03 mat via Cin escribió:
> - Virtual machines (VMs). These emulate the hardware of a whole computer,
> and you install a complete OS in a ¨instance" of it. They are slightly
> slower to start than native on the hardware, but because their storage is a
> file and not a partition on a hard disk, you don't need more storage space
> than it actually takes. For instance, A VirtualBox VM of Mint 19.3 XFCE
> takes < 8G. Very handy for trying different distributions, e.g. if CinGG
> works well on some distributions. They are much more flexible than
> containers. In theory, you can make an application specific VM, which then
> could be distributed, but when I tried that with CinGG it didn't work well
> (I forgot what it was, and they are too big, 8G or more). There are virtual
> machines that can emulate other hardware, like QEMU. VirtualBox only does
> x86 32 or 64 bit hardware. And special interfaces like VAAPI, OpenGL,
> OpenCL or CUDA might not be supported, so a program running inside a VM
> cannot use such features

Hi Mat.

we can have graphics acceleration in virtual machines. it just takes a little
more work and also the type of hardware to use.
example.
PCI GPU passthrough

in the excellent arch wiki there is good information

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU/Guest_graphics_acceleration
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Thanks for the AppImage

--