[Cin] arm/termux series (possibly broken on x86)

mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl
Thu Nov 18 13:31:51 CET 2021

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2021 01:07:05 -0700
> Phyllis Smith via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, the detection of the number of cpus (about line 143) is done
> > > by a very specific Linux method /proc/cpuinfo) , which does not
> > > work on FreeBSD and macOS.
> > >
> > So I do an exact replacement from:
> >       CPUS=`grep -c "^proc" /proc/cpuinfo`
> > to:
> >       CPUS=`nproc`
> > Is that correct?

Yes, please change it to
	CPUS=nproc

The single quotes are not needed, those are to prevent shell expansion
within the quotes.

nproc properly reports number of threads on macOS (after installing
development tools which are needed anyway), and FreeBSD
via an alias.

FreeBSD does not build as-is, e.g. it uses gmake which doesn't exist
on FreeSD version 13. nproc needs an alias but that is easy done in the
bsd.bld file. FreeBSD is also very limited in included options, like
is excludes all of thirdparty. I wonder if that is still
relevant, for example I did see LV2 plugins for FreeBSD. Was it
downloaded a lot when there still was a FreeBSD version, or put it
another way, is the effort useful to resurrect it?

All builds report during configure time that with gcc -V or clang -V
the upper case -V is not known; it probably tries to retrieve the
version number. In both cases, lower case -v gives the version number.
I did see a while ago a msg about outdated configure.ac . Maybe that
would help, I'll see what I can find.

I don't know whether freeBSD or macOS would be good platforms for
CinGG, but (trying) to build for other platforms is a good way to weed
out hidden problems.

MatN