[Cin] render profiles

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:53:28 CET 2021

Den 10.11.2021 20:10, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:

> On Wednesday, November 10, 2021, Phyllis Smith via Cin
> <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org <mailto:cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>> wrote:
>
>     The manual has been updated in GIT for clarification which was
>     sorely needed as I could never get it done right.
>

> THANKS!
>

>     On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 5:10 PM Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin
>     <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org <mailto:cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>>
>     wrote:
>
>         I think our description from manual can benefit from
>         explaining need to type profile name in a box...
>
>         right now section look like this
>         ---
>         Render Profile:
>         another convenience feature to take advantage of if you use
>         specific render formats frequently, is to save that profile
>         for future usage without having to set it up again.
>         Save Profile:
>         after setting up your render preference formats {*} , use the
>         save profile button to save it.
>
>         ---
>
>         {*} - do not forget to type in format name, profiles will be
>         saved in Cinelerra_rc and can be copy/pasted by careful use of
>         text editor
>
>         https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/Single_File_Rendering.html
>         <https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/Single_File_Rendering.html>
>

>         On Wednesday, November 10, 2021, Andrew Randrianasulu
>         <randrianasulu at gmail.com <mailto:randrianasulu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             I tried to create one just for testing, it apparently
>             saved in
>             .bcast5/Cinelerra_rc, but you hopefully can copy/paste
>             those lines via text editor...
>
>             http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/rendering.html
>             <http://www.g-raffa.eu/Cinelerra/HOWTO/rendering.html>
>
>             "The Render profile box is there for your convenience. It
>             helps you by keeping note of your favourite rendering
>             settings. You can use it, for instance, for memorizing the
>             rendering of the video stream when you render for DVD.
>             Let’s try it. Select YUV4MPEG Stream as File Format. Click
>             on the Render video tracks checkbox. Select Insert nothing
>             as insertion strategy.
>
>             Type DVD video stream in the Render profile box. *** - I
>             missed this step initially, silly me!
>
>             Click on the Save Profile button. Now, change some
>             rendering settings, just to mess things up. Open the
>             Render profile drop down menu by clicking on the arrow on
>             the right side of the Render profile box. Select the DVD
>             video stream option you have just created and… voillà! You
>             get all your settings back!"
>
>             as far as I can see you can save more than ffmpeg settings
>             this way (from my experiment) :
>
>             RENDER_1_PROFILE_NAME h264-8bit
>              RENDER_1_FILE_PER_LABEL 0
>              RENDER_1_LOADMODE 3
>              RENDER_1_RANGE_TYPE 3
>              RENDER_1_PATH /data/data/com.termux/files/home/h265.mp4
>             RENDER_1_FORMAT 33
>              RENDER_1_USE_HEADER 1
> [...]

I have been thinking about system presets for rendering based on the
source and the targets.

In File>Render the default mp4 fileformat (container) or another will be
used normally.

IMO the render Profile box down arrow may take advantage of a list of
ready-made preset render profiles that match the fileformat (container)
w/compression (codec), bit depth (pr samle), pixels (color depth),
bitrate, quality.

The profile names could have "self-explaining syntax" based on their
content above.

The default could be a master render profile for a Master render video
with quality equivalent to the actual imported source file.

Possibly also the equivalent ffmpeg command lines to the profiles could
be documented to as options and to explain.

The AVC profile names and the first table lines could be a sample for
furher documentation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Video_Coding#Feature_support_in_particular_profiles

Terje J. H