[Cin] Formats and Codecs in CinGG

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 22:46:10 CET 2021

Den 19.11.2021 14:58, skrev Andrea paz:
>> A minor comment: Is the AAC M4A audio format of interest to add on the
>> audio format list?
>  From FFmpeg's website:
>
> " FFmpeg supports two AAC-LC encoders (aac and libfdk_aac) and one
> HE-AAC (v1/2) encoder (libfdk_aac). The license of libfdk_aac is not
> compatible with GPL, so the GPL does not permit distribution of
> binaries containing incompatible code when GPL-licensed code is also
> included. Therefore this encoder have been designated as "non-free",
> and you cannot download a pre-built ffmpeg that supports it. This can
> be resolved by compiling ffmpeg yourself."
> [...]
> "Requires ffmpeg to be configured with --enable-libfdk-aac (and
> additionally --enable-nonfree if you're also using --enable-gpl)"

By adding extra codecs after the official distro installation:

ffmpeg -v quiet -codecs | grep aac
  DEAIL. aac                  AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) (decoders: aac
aac_fixed libfdk_aac ) (encoders: aac libfdk_aac )
  D.AIL. aac_latm             AAC LATM (Advanced Audio Coding LATM syntax)

>> HDV -> Blu-ray
>> Wikipedia HDV/Distributing say
>> 1. For consumer use, HDV-sourced video can be delivered on a Blu-ray Disc
>> without re-encoding
>> 2. can be converted to AVCHD and delivered on an AVCHD disc
>> 3. or can be downconverted to DVD-Video.
> I don't understand if CinGG offers these possibilities. Is it perhaps
> the "bluray_dv_pal(ntsc).mt2s" preset?

Where did you see the latter preset? (I think it is DV SD on Blu-ray).

> Another question: does DV include HDV (and DVPRO)? I haven't found any
> presets or parameters naming  HDV.

DV (DV25) is SD video while the successor HDV is mpeg-2 High Definition
video. Both DV and HDV are recorded on mini DV tapes. HDV camcorders may
also record DV format. To copy hdv and dv from tape to PC/disc, firewire
is used. DV camcorders may also playback digital signal via HDMI port out.

Andrew added a HDV format patch a year ago
https://www.mail-archive.com/cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org/msg02038.html

DV ref.
https://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/dv
HDV ref.