[Cin] Testing HDV on a Blu-ray Disc Without Re-encoding

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 03:35:16 CET 2021

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021, Terje J. Hanssen via Cin <
cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:

> I pick up again and continue another thread on this topic started a year
> ago:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org/msg02145.html
>

> In this post I start carefully with three questions regarding manual
> definitions and procedure in this section:
> https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/HDV_on_
> Blu_ray_Disc_Without.html
>
> An MTS file is a video file saved in the high-definition (HD) MPEG
>> Transport Stream video format, commonly called AVCHD. It contains HD video
>> compatible with Blu-ray disc format and is based on the MPEG-2 transport
>> stream. MTS files are often used by Sony, Panasonic, Canon and other HD
>> camcorders.
>>

> ==========
>
> Q1. My HDV 1080i video file transfered from tape to HDD via Firewire, get
> a file extension M2T, which then is recognized as format MPEG-TS by
> Mediainfo.
> AFAIK the next generation camcorders after HDV used H.264/AVC (AVCHD)?

i think yes...

> =========
>
> Legal input for
>> Video – MPEG1VIDEO, MPEG2VIDEO, H264;
>> Audio – MP1, MP2, AC3, AC3PLUS, DTS, TRUHD.
>>

> To verify this with FFMpeg for the previous HDV test-file
> "20081103140154.m2t" available on internet:
>
> ffmpeg -i 20081103140154.m2t 2>&1 >/dev/null | egrep "Audio|Video"
>
>   Stream #0:0[0x810]: Video: mpeg2video (Main) ([2][0][0][0] / 0x0002),
> yuv420p(tv, bt709, top first), 1440x1080 [SAR 4:3 DAR 16:9], 25000 kb/s, 25
> fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc
>   Stream #0:1[0x814]: Audio: mp2 ([3][0][0][0] / 0x0003), 48000 Hz,
> stereo, fltp, 384 kb/s
>

> According to the manual, both the HDV MPEG2Video stream and MP2 audio
> stream should be legal input to create a Blu-ray disc.
>
> However, MP2 isn't on Sony's list or other I have seen over audio and
> video codecs supported on Blu-ray Disc media.
> https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00029663
>

> Q2. Can someone clarify if MP2 rather should be transcoded to i.e AC3
> instead, possibly also remux to BDAV/M2TS if required (below)?
> (On my first attempt with "MTS" format, Mediainfo reported this
> FileExtension_Invalid: ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty)

from
http://blu-raydisc.com/assets/Downloadablefile/BD-ROM-AV-WhitePaper_110712.pdf

p. 19

it seems mp2 is not allowed on Bd-rom disks (and ffmpeg's muxer had or even
today have problems with muxing lpcm into bd-compatible m2ts?)

so yeah, transcoding seems to be only way, manual need correction.
I think while mp2 allowed in generic transport stream it is not allowed on
bluray especially (at least by standart)

> =========
>
> Q3. I also wonder if the manual command procedure creates a BDAV or a BDM
> structure, and optional if a DVD-RW disc can be used to create and playback
> this "Blu-ray disc" using a Blu-ray burner and a standalone UHD-Blu-ray
> player device? (At the time I have no free BD-R/RE discs left)

I tried to find anyone with player for doing experiment like this - no
luck!

of course you are encouraged to try, just lower bitrate to 8-9 mbit/s total