[Cin] Is UDF 2.5 or higher really required for Blu-ray video and BD burning?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:10:47 CET 2022

пн, 12 дек. 2022 г., 03:04 Terje J. Hanssen via Cin <
cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:

> Den 11.12.2022 20:08, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:
>

> вс, 11 дек. 2022 г., 21:44 Phyllis Smith via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>

>> I wonder if someone can clarify if UDF version 2.5 or higher really is
>>> required for creating and burning Blu-ray video to VBD-discs (blu-ray
>>> video discs)
>>>
>> The latest version of Fedora, i.e. version 36, has udftools version 2.3
>> and my laptop with Fedora 32 has udftools version 2.1.  Both have been and
>> continue to work to create blu-ray discs by the CinGG method.
>>

> well, while standard demand udf 2.5 - I guess most (newer) players relaxed
> on that...
>

> My Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player is a 2016 model, so it looks
> so. The spec sheet doesn't mention UDF version and is not very detailed
>
> https://image-us.samsung.com/SamsungUS/pim/migration/doc/ubd-k8500-za_DAV_UBD_K8500_SpecSheet_01.04.16.pdf
>

> because while mkudffs can make udf 2.5 image/skeleton there is no simple
> way to populate this filesystem with files under Linux!
>
> Only netbsd kernel can write udf 2.5 disks/disk images, and for most
> bugfixed code you need unreleased yet netbsd 10.
>

> I extracted few utilites from netbsd tree (because 5gb of NetBSD sources
> was too much for my puny tablet)
>
> https://github.com/Randrianasulu/makefs_termux
>
> this one should create _populated_ image, just be sure to set both min and
> max udf version to 2.5 and block size suitable for optical media. (2048)
>
> Linux kernel even most latest git still stuck at 2.01 for writing (bdwrite
> works by utilizing linux kernel udf write support)
>

> The mkudffs (and mkfs.udf in udftools) man page say it is used to create a
> UDF filesystem on a device (usually a disk).
> Is it a fair understanding that the mkudffs command we use first, creates
> the udfs file system itself based on the kernel support, which bdwrite next
> write the udfs image upon?

mkudffs by itself should work without kernel-level support, just there is
no way (one I know) to populate this filesystem if kernel udf module does
not support writing or missed.

in theory there was udfclient, but I lost myself quickly in its cmd line
interface, and back in time ( ~year or so ago) it was not working with 2.5
images for writing anyway ....

in theory you can use bdwrite over mounted ext4 image (say) and then use
populated tree as source for makefs ....