[Cin] Crash on playback

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:49:16 CET 2022

On Monday, January 17, 2022, Mark Goldberg via Cin <
cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022, 3:32 AM mat <mnieuw at zap.a2000.nl> wrote:
>

>> @Mark, can you confirm vdpau works on your system, outside of CinGG? Does
>> vdpauinfo say it is OK?
>> Does "HW device" vdpau work in the compiled version without errors, apart
>> from the crash?
>>

> On RHEL8 the appimage for older distros is required as glibc is older. It
> does not work with vdpau, falling back to software. In the locally compiled
> version it does use vdpau, but I have 4k60 f-log videos, and adding the
> lut3d plugin slows things down such that it cannot play in real time.

you can try to hack makefiles of individual plugins (while lut3d is
ffmpeg's one, so not sure how to influence irs compile flags individually)
with
 -march=native, -mavx (if you have avx instructions in your cpu), and other
suitable flags... CinGG for now mostly cpu/memory intensive, not using
OpenCL/cuda (unlike big commercial editors?) so setting correct cpu flags
may give relatively big boost.

> @Andrew, I have compiled multiple times and changed versions of the Nvidia
> driver, same crash.

from forum post I see case when gpu decoder utilization (as seen via
nvidia's utility) still not 0%, so it works, but probably pulling and
pushing frames between vram and ram via pci-e bus takes cpu, too (even if
dma should do it for free?). I remember long time ago open-source radeon
driver developers run into some underutilization of bus so they applied big
expensive logic analyzer (at pcie speeds!) for finding some bottlenecks....
so I am afraid without much better developers poking graphics stack while
Cingg is running not much can be done.. :(

@Andrea, for some reason I can't download attaches from forum (because I
have no login there?), can you add CMS.txt as attachment to email (again)?

I recall older version of Final Cut (before X) has ColorSync plugin
(probably utilizing cpu at early 2000s), so may be making lcms2 plugin will
provide some workaround for lack of core color management? (like, you
switch slow colorcorrection plugin/effect for color work, turn it off for
edits... those transforms using monitor's profile tend to be math heavy if
executed on cpu only, even with simd... )

> @Andrea, I have seen the forum posting. There are issues with plugins
> slowing things down, but I will start a second thread for that.
>
> Latest compile is the multibit version. It's more complicated. If there is
> another video track on the timeline below what is playing, it does not
> crash and plays successfully.

sorry, I can't test this due to lack of access to my main desktop... and
laptops here only have vaapi (may be I can recompile x86_32 version of
cingg... those are not *my* laptops, but I have live usb stick with
slackware /copy of my home system from ~2020)