[Cin] cingg vaapi on i3-3227U cpu

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 09:04:36 CET 2022

On Tuesday, January 18, 2022, Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, I compiled new Cingg git (gcc 5.5.0,  ~ Slackware 14.2,  32 bit (!))
>
> file 1920x1080 24 fps h264 mkv from youtube
>
> no plugins/effects/transitions
>
> default project format - rgba-8bit
>
> and va-api works for me on both decoding (most visible cpu usage reduction
> if i set output to x11-direct - 60% g> 30%), on opengl output it really
> clise to same 60-70% cpu utilization (one core, dynamic freq.) and encoding
>
> you need to restart Cin after changing hw accel method
>
> But biggest thing was va-api h264 encoding  - 130% cpu and 18 fps vs
> nearly 400% cpu and 2 fps (while file size more like 5 mb for software vs
> 13 mb for vaapi). And memory usage with sw encoding much higher = 800/900
> mb vs 300 mb in va-api case. I nearly deadlocked this 4gb ram laptop while
> trying ram-only (tmpfs) build and encoding tests... zram + zswap  helped
> surely...

2 fps was due to x264 not picking up old nasm - it seems 2.13+ needed for
libjpeg-turbo too (according to its own building instruction)

With normally-compiled x264 I got 9.66 fps - much better!

So, this is another hazard (speed-wise) - old nasm may work for some
components and do not work for others (with significant encoding speed
loss)