[Cin] Editing 4K content targetting 1080p output

Igor BEGHETTO igorbeg at visi1.org
Sun Jan 30 10:33:11 CET 2022

Stefan, I think you are doing a bit of confusion.

When you are using Proxy the Scale factor is used for scale down that
video. Your 4k (3840x2160) video, with Scale=1/3 will be scaled to
1920x720, not 640x360.
Cinelerra-GG don't know you are using a different Project format
(1920x1080) and it is right so.

The Z value of the Camera tool don't use pixels but rate. It doesn't
matter if Proxy is enabled or not. When Z=0.5 (50% if we want to see it
in percentage), the frame will be scaled (up, if Z >1, or down, if Z<1)
of that value.
It is different for X and Y because them use pixels but the values are
switched to the ProjectFormat/ProxyScale.

When Proxy is enabled, if you want open a clip in the Viewer, you must
dragging and dropping (or double click) that clip from Resources/Proxy,
not from Resource/Media.
Because your project is 1080p size and  you are using a 4k video, the
Viewer shows that clip zoomed. The Viewer window aspected a 1080p video,
not 4k video. There is a fantastic Workaround for that (... and Thanks
GG!!!).

Before I write the Workaround, had you thought of one of the two ways
below (sorry if I allow mysef)?
1.
Using a Project format size for 4k and working onit with Proxy
(Scale=1/6?). Rendering out to 4k and, after, converting the Final video
with a tool (Handbrake?) or with Cinelerra-GG.
2.
Converting your video from 4k to 1080p before loading that video in
Cinelerra-GG. You will gain performance after. but loose time for
converting.

Yes, for #1 and #2, you waste time for conversion.

==================
=== Workaround ===
Start from an empty Project 1080p.
- In Resources/Media RMB (Right Mouse Button) on the clip icon.
- Select "Info..." option.
- In Asset info window on "Video:" section, click on "Resize" button and
change the Scale to 0.500x0.500.
- Enable/Set Proxy.

Remember:
when Proxy is enabled you must drag &drop (or double click) from
Resources/Proxy, not from Resources/Media, to load that clip in the Viewer.

Sorry for the long texts.
I have to go for a drink because of dry throat. ;-)

IgorBeg