[Cin] blds/bld_prepare.sh update

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Mon Jul 4 19:36:57 CEST 2022

On 220629-21:32+0200, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
[...]
> On 220628-19:58-0600, Phyllis Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 2:54 PM Miroslav Rovis via Cin <
> > cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
[...]
> > > Installing Cinelerra from git yesterday on my Debian machine, and I'm
> > > running Debian Testing, when following:
> > > https://cinelerra-gg.org/download/CinelerraGG_Manual/single_user_build.html
> > >
> > > I get this at this step:
> > >
> > > # ./blds/bld_prepare.sh
> > > Reading package lists...
> > > Building dependency tree...
> > > Reading state information...
> > > Package python is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> > > This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> > > is only available from another source
> > > However the following packages replace it:
> > >   2to3 python-is-python3 python2-minimal python2 dh-python

Pls. see this line (I refer to it further down):
> > > E: Unable to locate package libdc1394-22-dev
> > > E: Package 'python' has no installation candidate
> > >
> > > The solution for me was to edit the file, and the file that worked for me
> > > (I also changed the Ubuntu lines, as probably there is no python package in
> > > Ubuntu either, at least not in Ubuntu based on Debian Testing):
> > >
> > > pls find the attached:
> > > bld_prepare.sh
> > > that worked for me:
> > >
> > > The lines than changed concern only those packages as reported
> > > unavailable, not located by apt, above.
> > >
> > > So that these updates do not got lost for future versions of ubuntu and
> > debian, I have checked into GIT blds/bld_prepare.sh with options for
> > "debian-testing" and "ubuntu-testing" which when new Operating Systems
> > releases come up, the script can be updated to reflect version XX of
> > ubuntu/debian.
>
> I've pulled and seen your above said changes.
>
> If anybody checked the plain debian as first argument to bld_prepare.sh, and
> that it works fine, then these changes are not yet in Debian stable (which I
> believe is Bullseye since a few months ago IIRC).
>
> But these changes, if they're not in Debian stable already, are very likely
> coming to Bullseye the Debian stable. The time schedule of it, and the possible
> but rare backtracking, is also stuff that only expert packagers get to be
> familiar with, and I'm not one.

Looking into other matters, I figured out some more.
Is this the bld_prepare.sh as currently is in master:
https://git.cinelerra-gg.org/git/?p=goodguy/cinelerra.git;a=blob;f=cinelerra-5.1/blds/bld_prepare.sh;h=402b626719899d88e85f233ce5c874ca410d4e58;hb=refs/heads/master
I think it it (I have only so much time).
I downloaded it and diffed it with the modified one that worked for me, and
the:
libdc1394-22-dev
is still in it, and likely shouldn't be.

These are the Debian versions:

Buster = oldstable
Bullseye = stable
Bookworm = testing
Sid = unstable
---
The first three change with time, e.g. Buster was stable, now is oldstable. Bullseye was testing, now is stable, and so forth.
And here's why I write it.

For clarity, this is what I changed (so you don't have to look up old emails, for this part):

This is the:

diff <as-I-found-it-back-10-or-so-days-ago>/blds/bld_prepare.sh  <as-I-changed-it>/blds/bld_prepare.sh

 88c88
 <     libdc1394-22-dev libflac-dev libjbig-dev libvdpau-dev libva-dev \
 ---
 >     libdc1394-25 libdc1394-dev libflac-dev libjbig-dev libvdpau-dev libva-dev \
 90c90
 <     autoconf automake debhelper libgtk2.0-dev libpulse-dev python \
 ---
 >     autoconf automake debhelper libgtk2.0-dev libpulse-dev 2to3 python-is-python3 python2-minimal python2 dh-python \
 101c101
 <     libdc1394-22-dev libiec61883-dev libflac-dev libjbig-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev \
 ---
 >     libdc1394-25 libdc1394-dev libiec61883-dev libflac-dev libjbig-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev \
 104c104
 <     libpulse-dev libtool python \
 ---
 >     libpulse-dev libtool 2to3 python-is-python3 python2-minimal python2 dh-python \

The way to find out if, allow quick paste:
> But these changes, if they're not in Debian stable already
is look up on packages.debian.org pages, like:

https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/2to3 Look at that! This package is in stable!
https://packages.debian.org/buster/2to3   It is in oldstable too! Different version though.
https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/2to3 Different version in testing as well, take a look!

https://packages.debian.org/buster/python But python is also in oldstable.
https://packages.debian.org/bullesys/python However not in stable anymore. The changes have caught!

However it really takes somebody with probably best stable Debian to test
building from source.
This only helps a bit, I hope.

IOW, the bld_prepare.sh is likely still not good, I'm afraid.

I know it's bad news, and I'm only able to give it this much time. Because of
other work, I have had time to encode with Cinelerra for even less time yet
than it took me to prepare for this email, since I installed it a week ago.

Thanks for your patience!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia