[Cin] Colors tip from forum

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 19:59:46 CEST 2022

вс, 31 июл. 2022 г., 11:38 Andrea paz <gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com>:

> > So far I saw this email on ffmpeg list
>
> I think ffmpeg filters that require multiple streams as input don't
> work in CinGG; they give the classic warning: "Input / Output error"

Yeah, but may be in this special case there will be way to use this
specific filter .... Something to look into when it lands in ffmpeg.git

> > How it done in other editors?
>
> DaVinci Resolve:
> https://beginnersapproach.com/davinci-resolve-sync-audio-clips/

Thanks, it seems internal representation of relations between audio and
video quite richer in thiscase.

> Avid Media Composer:
>
> https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/comm/AVID+-+Syncing+Video+and+Audio+using+AutoSync
>
> > So far I can only imagine checkbox and flag in asset info/resources
> window
> preventing importing audio from specified asset...
>
> Yes, exactly. The whole pre-editing phase is based on a database that
> writes and organizes all the data, assets, metadata, flags,
> storyboards, etc.
> I've read the series of books (I'm missing the last 2 volumes) that,
> it seems to me, you yourself recommended: Timeline Analog vols. 1-6.
> It is clear from the history of editing that the reason for the
> success of digital editing over film editing is not the actual
> editing. In fact this became important only when the power of PCs,
> transfer rates, and storage became sufficient. But the real success
> was due to the pre-editing and organization of the material to be
> edited.

Yeah, here cingg while better than cincv still lacking ...

There was no comparison between the mountain of written papers
> and memos hanging on the studio walls and the database built into the
> software. DaVinci Resolve also offers a choice between built-in
> database and system PostgreSQL.
>

> > But I must admit Cinelerra probably was not meant to be used exactly this
> > way (or may be embedding mini timeline/waveform in info window quite too
> much work.)
>
> I still agree with you. I would not want all this flood of words with
> which I have bored you lead to think that CinGG is backward or
> inadequate compared to anything else. These pro features are not
> needed for small to medium projects, and I think some of the users
> also use it for big projects (Pierre? Fary54? Sam?).
> Audio/video auto-sync is not at all necessary for CinGG. It would
> distinguish it from its open source competitors, but doing it manually
> is still okay. Putting color space in transcoding would also be nice,
> but it is fine to do it manually with the ColorSpace plugin.

Well, at least having some additional pair of eyes or more than pair
looking at our code with experience will be nice to have ....

> > I saw waveform editor as tab in viewer (in Final Cut Pro) , may be it can
> > be implemented this way?
>
> I didn't understand, do you mean the "Disable audio components on AV
> clips" option at minute 2.17 of this video?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02j6c7XFdXA
> (I don't know Final Cut or even Premiere Pro.)
>

> PS: one important pre-editing feature that, as a non-programmer, I
> always thought was easy to implement is the ability to create nested
> subfolders in those present (or created from scratch) in Resouces
> Window. I have asked this a couple of times but with no response. So I
> guess it is not trivial to implement it at all.

I guess this just requires modifications in many places (because you want
your actions to depend in various ways on type of bin/folder you select
..…?)

But may be Einar (cc)  can hack on some of those topics in his experimental
fork and then we can try to bring it over to cingg?