[Cin] AppImage for aarc64

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:34:36 CET 2022

wow, a lot of work and most importantly - it worked!

Thanks a lot for effort

On Monday, March 7, 2022, mnieuw--- via Cin <cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>
wrote:

> Just now I manage to build a working CinGg AppImage for aarch64, based
> in CinGG 2022-02 with the deflate disable for tiff.
>
> To build an AppImage, you need three steps:
> - Build an AppDir with the CinGG code in it.
> - Then linuxdeploy figures out what more is needed, like system
>   libraries. It copies those in the AppDir, then patches all ELF files
>   to cater for non-standard locations. Patchelf is not part of
>   linuxdeploy, it takes the one from the system, at least for the
>   dynamic built linuxdeploy.
> - Then the "appimagetool" is run on the AppDir, which makes the actual
>   AppImage. This tool is available for 64 and 32 bit, on x86 and arm.
>
> The main problem was linuxdeploy, which is not available for aarch64.
>
> Linuxdeploy does not build straight out of github for me, at least not
> so far. It uses cmake (unfamiliar for me).
> So I vandalised it a bit, now it builds. I did not try to build the
> appimagetool plugin, because that is available as a separate tool.
> So this linuxdeploy at the moment is not a full replacement for the
> standard linuxdeploy appimage, but that was not a priority.
>
> With these two and a small mode to bld_appimahe.sh, creation of the
> CinGG AppImage works fine.
>
> Next is to clean up and document things, so others can reproduce it at
> will.
> Also, it would be nice to convert linuxdeploy (and appimagetool) to
> autotools, if that succeeds then it can be fully integrated in CinGG
> (like the thirdparty things are).

I think thirdparty build few things with cmake - main problem older distros
have old cmake and new projects sometimes actually use new cmake features
(and you probably do not want to build your own cmake - because it installs
few modules for searching system-wide installed software... or at least my
navie understanding of cmake tells me this - can be wrong!)