[Cin] HDV manual section need some work

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 01:14:52 CET 2022

I think we can add some clarification

---
HDV on a Blu-ray Disc Without Re-encoding

An MTS file is a video file saved in the high-definition (HD) MPEG
Transport Stream video format, commonly called AVCHD. It contains HD video
compatible with Blu-ray disc format and is based on the MPEG-2 transport
stream. MTS files are often used by Sony, Panasonic, Canon and other HD
camcorders. Legal input for Video – MPEG1VIDEO, MPEG2VIDEO, H264; Audio –
MP1, MP2, AC3, AC3PLUS, DTS, TRUHD.

Note, mp2 and mp1 audio codecs are valid for transport stream itself but
not as on-disk format for Blu-Rays.

In this case you still can save original video by using ffmpeg's switches

 -c:v copy -c:a ac3 , while outputting into another temporal ts container.

{waiting for Terje's results on pcm_bluray case}

---

I think all m2ts files you used for testing were h264/aac (or ac3), not
from-camcoder HDVs with mpeg2 video/mp2 audio.

you can try HDV-in-mov from this folder as ffmpeg test file, I think

http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/mov/FCP/

----

For creating a blu-ray disc, if you have HDV MPEG-2 media that is in
blu-ray format, you can save the original quality of your work, rather than
rendering it to another format.

{I hope Terje will let us know if bdwrite still works with bluray pcm audio
as produced by ffmpeg 5.1+}