[Cin] HDV manual section need some work

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:52:40 CET 2022

Den 03.11.2022 01:42, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu via Cin:

> чт, 3 нояб. 2022 г., 03:34 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>

>     чт, 3 нояб. 2022 г., 03:14 Andrew Randrianasulu
>     <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>
>         I think we can add some clarification
>
>         ---
>

>           HDV on a Blu-ray Disc Without Re-encoding
>
>         An MTS file is a video file saved in the high-definition (HD)
>         MPEG Transport Stream video format, commonly called AVCHD. It
>         contains HD video compatible with Blu-ray disc format and is
>         based on the MPEG-2 transport stream. MTS files are often used
>         by Sony, Panasonic, Canon and other HD camcorders. Legal input
>         for Video – MPEG1VIDEO, MPEG2VIDEO, H264; Audio – MP1, MP2,
>         AC3, AC3PLUS, DTS, TRUHD.
>
>         Note, mp2 and mp1 audio codecs are valid for transport stream
>         itself but not as on-disk format for Blu-Rays.
>
>         In this case you still can save original video by using
>         ffmpeg's switches
>
>          -c:v copy -c:a ac3 , while outputting into another temporal
>         ts container.
>
>         {waiting for Terje's results on pcm_bluray case}
>

>         ---
>

>         I think all m2ts files you used for testing were h264/aac (or
>         ac3), not from-camcoder HDVs with mpeg2 video/mp2 audio.
>
>         you can try HDV-in-mov from this folder as ffmpeg test file, I
>         think
>
>         http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/mov/FCP/
>

>     oh, this is not mp2 audio but pcm audio. And ..not exactly kind of
>     pcm used on blurays!
>
>     so this line work, note mpegts_m2ts_mode switch for enabling more
>     bluray like output, without it ffmpeg will mux audio into private
>     stream -  good luck getting it back!
>
>     ffmpeg -i  HDV_1080i50.mov -c:v copy -c:a pcm_bluray
>     -mpegts_m2ts_mode 1 hdv.mts
>
>     then tsmuxer recognizes mts file as below:
>
>     ~/tsMuxer $ tsmuxer hdv.mts
>     tsMuxeR version 2.6.16-dev. github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer
>     <http://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer>
>     Track ID:    4113                                  Stream type: MPEG-2
>     Stream ID:   V_MPEG-2
>     Stream info: Profile: Main at 6. Resolution: 1440:1080i. Frame rate: 25
>     Stream lang:
>
>     Track ID:    4352
>     Stream type: LPCM
>     Stream ID:   A_LPCM
>     Stream info: Bitrate: 1536Kbps  Sample Rate: 48KHz  Channels: 2
>     Bits per sample: 16bit
>     Stream lang: eng
>
>     Duration: 00:00:08.000
>
>     ====
>
>     I wonder if you can cp this file few times and then cat them back
>     together for simulating longer video ) ?
>

> https://github.com/OpenShot/openshot-qt/issues/3428#top
>
> this one contain real very short hdv sample with mp2 sound
>
> http://twenkid.com/os/3.m2t

I can try to dig and test further into this matter later this month - or
possibly more realistic next month.
Currently I spend some holiday weeks on Gran Canaria 😎

Some thoughts in advance:

Would it possibly be better/clear to differ/split between the formats,
HDV video on tape (M2T container) and the successor H264/AVC(HD) video
on disk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDV

Possibly you still have the probably little longer HDV 1080i sample
file, "20081103140154.m2t" we used for the HDV format patch here
https://www.mail-archive.com/cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org/msg02048.html

And if  Phyllis has access to a Blu-ray disc burner and BD hw player,
testing could possibly start sooner(?)