[Cin] Compile Cin from source, but make errors out

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Sat Sep 24 22:15:40 CEST 2022

On 220924-11:12-0600, Phyllis Smith wrote:
> *Miroslav,*
> Just some minor commentary follows.
Great!
> (1) first about "disable-tiff" after next quote.
> (2) second below that about "usefullness"
>
> > And I do have now:
> > >
> > >   static                  openExr
> > >   static                  openexr
> > >   forced                  openjpeg
> > *>   disabled                tiff*
> > >   forced                  twolame
> > >   forced                  x264
> > >   forced                  x265
> > >   static                  libvpx
> > >
> > > in my  cinelerra_configure--with-single-user--disable-tiff_220914_1448 .
> > So I attach now:
> > cinelerra_make_220914_1451.xz
> >
> > which ends like this:
> >
> > g++ -o /the-path/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/cinelerra/../bin/cin `cat
> > x86_64/objs`
> > /usr/bin/ld: warning: x86_64/theme_data.o: missing .note.GNU-stack section
> > implies executable stack
> > /usr/bin/ld: NOTE: This behaviour is deprecated and will be removed in a
> > future version of the linker
> > /usr/bin/ld: x86_64/filetiff.o: in function
> > `FileTIFF::write_frame(VFrame*, VFrame*, FrameWriterUnit*)':
> > /usr/bin/ld: x86_64/filetiff.o: in function
> > `FileTIFF::read_frame_header(char*)':
> > /the-path/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/cinelerra/filetiff.C:152: undefined
> > reference to `TIFFOpen'
> > /usr/bin/ld: /the-path/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/cinelerra/filetiff.C:159:
> > undefined reference to `TIFFGetField'
> > make[2]: *** [Makefile:536:
> > /the-path/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/cinelerra/../bin/cin] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory '/the-path/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/cinelerra'
> > make[1]: *** [Makefile:585: all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory '/the-path/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1'
> > make: *** [Makefile:532: all] Error 2
> >
> > Meaning, IMHO,* the --disable-tiff is not honored. That appears to me
> > like another bug*, but I'm not an expert.
> >
> (1) Explanation why this is not a bug:
> The "disable" parameter is used solely to disable Cinelerra's thirdparty
> library build where this library exists in Cinelerra's thirdparty/src
> directory (in this case was 4.3.0) when building "single-user" mode.  This
> gives the user control to use the system version library instead (which in
> your case is 4.4.0) and which was used and led to the errors probably still
> because of "lerc".  Although this allows the user to use possibly a more
> updated system library version, it also just leads to errors when patches
> necessary for Cinelerra are then missed if needed.  Not sure what happens
> when there is no system tiff library version because I did not want to
> deinstall it because of all the other software I have installed that needs
> it.
It looked to me (back then, I'm in other matters now) the bug was because the
Cinelerra build system did not disable tiff, as it was supposed to.

But, as far as I go, I can only let this matter rest, I'm looking up this ML to
prepare for other issues, actually one suggestion and maybe something more.
But thanks for the insight.
> thanks for letting us know our build system still not realworld proof .....
> > Thank you guys for the great libre program! *(And I'm happy to be
> > useful.)*
> >

> (2) YES!  The feedback you provide is very useful to us!  If you just build
> from GIT every few months, it helps to find exactly this kind of problem
> that we miss.

Great! (and some more feedback is coming your way next)

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia