[Cin] Suggestion: improve presets for VP9 webm

Miroslav Rovis miro.rovis at croatiafidelis.hr
Sun Sep 25 13:39:54 CEST 2022

On 220925-09:05+0300, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> вс, 25 сент. 2022 г., 08:25 Miroslav Rovis via Cin <
> cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org>:
>
> > I changed the subject line: 's/setting/presets/'.
> >
> > On 220924-17:55-0600, Phyllis Smith wrote:
> > > From my quick read, it sounds like a thorough analysis and
> > > great suggestion.
[...]
> > > On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 3:32 PM Miroslav Rovis via Cin <
> > > cin at lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:
[...]
> settings live in ${cin_src_root}/ffmpeg/video

which read:

$ cat /mnc/src_n0/Cin/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/ffmpeg/video/vp9_1920x1080_24or25or30fps.webm
webm libvpx-vp9
# 20171119-2100
# based on https://developers.google.com/media/vp9/settings/vod/
# for explanations reference the Cinelerra Manual
# 1920x1080 (24, 25 or 30 frames per second)
b=1800k
minrate=900k
maxrate=2610k
tile-columns=2
g=240
threads=8
quality=good
crf=31
speed=4
$

Yes, that's what I (in the render window) used to change to:

$ cat /mnc/src_n0/Cin/cinelerra/cinelerra-5.1/ffmpeg/video/vp9_1920x1080_24or25or30fps.webm
webm libvpx-vp9
# 20171119-2100
# based on https://developers.google.com/media/vp9/settings/vod/
# for explanations reference the Cinelerra Manual
# 1920x1080 (24, 25 or 30 frames per second)
b=0
tile-columns=2
g=40
threads=8
crf=31
speed=4
row-mt=1
$

(all the above still from memory, but I'm soon to work as I
proposed.)

I'm not sure speed=4 and tile-columns=2
help/hurt/make-no-differenc., but I usually leave them as they
were.

> and yeah, no row-mt=1 there apart from av1 profile.
> I only have asymmetric arm 8 core in tablet, and two 4 x86-64 cores in
> desktop and laptop for testing....
That's slow, I don't have a laptop, but I had desktops in such
range. It's maybe half an order of magnitude more slowly to work
motion plugins with such than what I have. (I went nearly broke,
and with all of my savings gone to get me those, and I'm still
recovering.)

> > Because in this wiki page:
> > previously there were recommendation on VP9 that correspond with
> > the current presets in Cinelerra. The current version of VP9
> > wiki page is, I believe, just a few months old.
> >
> > With the presets that I find in current Cinelerra; I'm yet to
> > open it today and work with it, but I choose preset that are
> > recommended for 1920x1080 30fps and then edit it as below.

[...]

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia