[Cin] OT: comments from youtube can be saved, too

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 19:23:38 CEST 2023

I enclose some minor clarifications I made in the manual. For those
who do not use Latex, I report below the phrases I added and where I
put them:

In the first paragraph of chapter 5 (editing):

"The entire space comprised by the timeline (horizontal extent) and
the tracks, whether empty or occupied, (vertical extent) is called the
canvas, in analogy of the workspace of raster graphics programs or the
painter's canvas. It is usual to interchange the terms timeline and
canvas. In the canvas, Audio tracks are different from Video tracks so
a media including both audio and video will be split into 2 or more
indipendent tracks. There is no Link/Unlink-like function present in
other programs, although there are workarounds."

also:

"Nomenclature: media loaded in the timeline (canvas), in whole or in
part, are called edits, unlike other programs that call them clips.
Clips in \CGG{} are those that are created in the Viewer window and
can be brought into the timeline, where they become edits, or brought
into the Resources window, inside the Clips folder, where they can be
renamed and a description added. These too, once brought into the
timeline, are renamed edits. In \CGG{} the difference edits/clips is
not important; however, the difference of clips as it is intended in
other NLEs is important. These are media (or parts of it) complete in
themselves and indipendent from other clips and the timeline. Edits in
\CGG{} on the other hand, can be a media (or part of it) but can also
be any region of the timeline between In/Out Points or from a
highlighted, on which we can do editing operations. This leads to some
advantages (e.g. putting an effect only in a certain part of the edit)
but one must always keep in mind that the edit remains dependent on
the track and the entire canvas."

In the first paragraph of Chapter 4 (Load, Save and the EDL):

"The media files loaded into the Resources window are called assets
and are virtual references to the real files on disk. The original
sources are not changed and so we have non-destructive editing."

> I have made some notes to use but am still gathering some more.

That's great, Phyllis. I also attach my txt file so we can integrate
it. In the file I propose a draft for a new section of the manual
where I put some std features of NLEs compared to how they work in
CinGG. I am not an expert on other NLEs so I ask everyone to correct,
add and improve the points I have written.