[Cin] TODO lines in tex?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 01:25:03 CEST 2023

On Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 1:30 AM Andrew Randrianasulu
<randrianasulu at gmail.com> wrote:

> вс, 27 авг. 2023 г., 01:13 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>>

>> вс, 27 авг. 2023 г., 01:01 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:

>>> this file from ~2008 suggest pdf can have jpeg variants or zip compression for "streams" with some pre-filtering?
>>>
>>> https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-3/tb96szabo.pdf
>>>
>>> here is github:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/pts/pdfsizeopt
>>>
>>> warning, contain python 2.x
>>>
>>> there are other tools using perl + ghostscript.... Or even something with dotnet!
>>

>> And slightly down the line:
>>
>> https://gitlab.mister-muffin.de/josch/img2pdf
>>
>> ===
>> For JPEG, JPEG2000, non-interlaced PNG and TIFF images with CCITT Group 4 encoded data, img2pdf directly embeds the image data into the PDF without re-encoding it. It thus treats the PDF format merely as a container format for the image data. In these cases, img2pdf only increases the filesize by the size of the PDF container (typically around 500 to 700 bytes). Since data is only copied and not re-encoded, img2pdf is also typically faster than other solutions for these input formats.
>> ====
>>
>> as found via this stackowerflow:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14220221/how-to-insert-transparent-png-in-pdf
>>
>> thing is, I have no idea yet if latex2pdf can use any of this ....
>

> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/45498/choosing-whether-to-include-pdf-or-png-in-pdflatex
>
> this answer suggest you can use pdf instead of png. I wonder if pdf in question can be one generated by img2pdf ?

so, there was

https://sourceforge.net/p/dktools/wiki/bitmap2pp/

suggested by another web page

I compiled those tools on Slackware 15.0 i586 and resulting files are:

bash-5.1$ du -h ~/CinGG_e2k_june_2020_remote*
300K    /home/guest/CinGG_e2k_june_2020_remote-fs8.pdf
200K    /home/guest/CinGG_e2k_june_2020_remote-fs8.png
500K    /home/guest/CinGG_e2k_june_2020_remote.pdf
480K    /home/guest/CinGG_e2k_june_2020_remote.png

so normal png is 480kb, pdf is 20kb bigger, optimized (lossely) png is
200kb and pdf done from that is 300kb.

300 << 480 .... I tried resulting pdf file in KPDF from TDE 14.0.13
and they show up there.