[Cin] Prepping HW upgrade options for AV1 de-/encoding

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 22:29:30 CET 2023

Already touched this topic barely in another thread
https://lists.cinelerra-gg.org/pipermail/cin/2023-December/007346.html

But so many SW and HW pieces are mentioned around, it is almost a
full-time reading and study:
VAAPI, MESA, VULKAN, Intel Quick Sync Video etc......

I realize my aging hardware which is fast enough for other tasks, needs
some "AV1 upgrade", if possible.

But first I wonder, what is expected possible to do (obtain) with AV1
de-/encoding on my existing 64bit hardware:

    1) laptop 2018: Dell XPS 13-9370: quad core i7-8550U CPU (8. gen
    Kabylake) and Intel UHD Graphics

    2) WS infinity:  MSI Z170A mobo:  quad core i7-6700K CPU (6. gen
    Skylake), NVIDIA GeForce GT-730 graphics

A budget friendly first "AV1 HW upgrade" of the workstation 2) if
possible, would be to add a new GPU as Intel Arc A380.
But the question is if this will work at all on that much older (2015)
Skylake platform with i7-6700K CPU?
I've seen CPU bottlenecks has been mentioned and that Arc A380 is
targeted at newer generations CPU ...