[Cin] News and enhancements with CinGG/FFmpeg 6.1 ?

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 02:21:12 CET 2023

Den 09.12.2023 21:19, skrev Andrea paz via Cin:
>>> AMF seems to require some additional (may be even closed-source/proprietary) components from amdgpu-pro ?
> Yes, amf is part of AMD's proprietary drivers, namely amdgpu-pro.
> Other proprietary parts (OpenCL) have been put inside ROCm which is
> open, but I don't think they will do that for amf.
> Some time ago I had tried to create an x265-amf rendering profile, but
> it didn't work. Now I don't have any amgpu-pro parts and can't try
> anymore....

I expect you are right above, as I have no own experience yet with the
new AV1 encoding using GPU HWA.

The opensource Mesa 23.3 seems to be an option in any case
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Mesa-23.3-HQ-AV1-Radeon
https://www.phoronix.com/review/arc-graphics-ubuntu-2310

The ArchLinux wiki "Hardware video acceleration" is a good overview for
Linux options and driver installations for Intel, NVIDIA, AMD/ATI
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Hardware_video_acceleration

  * Advanced Media Framework (AMF) is an open source framework which
    allows "Optimal" access to AMD GPUs for multimedia processing using
    the AMDGPU PRO Stack, Developed by AMD.
  * AMDGPU PRO proprietary driver is built on top of AMDGPU driver and
    supports both VA-API and VDPAU in addition to AMF.
  * NVAMDGPU PRO proprietary driver is built on top of AMDGPU driver and
    supports both VA-API and VDPAU in addition to AMF. DEC/NVENC -
    NVIDIA's proprietary APIs for hardware video acceleration, used by
    NVIDIA GPUs from Fermi onwards.

The "av1_amf" encoder is included among the AV1 Encoders on my FFmpeg
6.0.1 currently on Tumbleweed-Slowroll.

Also the FFmpeg "AV1 Video Encoding Guide" has a section "AMD AMF AV1"
using the av1_amf encoder
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/AV1#AMDAMFAV1