[Cin] Prepping HW upgrade options for AV1 de-/encoding

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 00:18:39 CET 2023

>> # ./thirdparty/ffmpeg-6.1/ffmpeg -encoders | grep av1
>>  V....D *libaom-av1*          libaom AV1 (codec av1)
>>  A....D *wmav1 *              Windows Media Audio 1
>>

>> Hm, I wonder why so few av1 encoders are enabled?
>>

> Because  additional ones tend to have external dependencies we normally do
> not carry? Also, at least on aarch64 librav1e was a bit of disappointment,
> at least on default  settings it was SLOW.

In addition to what Andrew reported, when building FFmpeg, you have to
specifically *enable libsvtav1* which has not been done, but could be if
someone tests that and finds it useful.

But what is actually more interesting is that there is still no vaapi_av1
which is what Andrea was trying to get working (just to find out that his
hardware would not support anyway).  There may be some other trick to that
too since it certainly seems to exist as a codec in this file:
./cinelerra-5.1/thirdparty/ffmpeg-6.1/libavcodec/allcodecs.c