[Cin] AV! codec and Vaapi

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 11:27:15 CET 2023

I open a new thread on av1_vaapi because the other one is only about
Intel drivers.
I put the results of my system ffmpeg and CinGG's internal ffmpeg.

$ ffmpeg -encoders | grep av1
 V....D libaom-av1           libaom AV1 (codec av1)
 V....D librav1e             librav1e AV1 (codec av1)
 V..... libsvtav1            SVT-AV1(Scalable Video Technology for
AV1) encoder (codec av1)
 V....D av1_nvenc            NVIDIA NVENC av1 encoder (codec av1)
 V..... av1_qsv              AV1 (Intel Quick Sync Video acceleration)
(codec av1)
 V....D av1_amf              AMD AMF AV1 encoder (codec av1)
 V....D av1_vaapi            AV1 (VAAPI) (codec av1)
 A....D wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1

$ /home/paz/cinelerra5/cinelerra-5.1/thirdparty/ffmpeg-6.1/ffmpeg
-encoders | grep av1
 V....D libaom-av1           libaom AV1 (codec av1)
 V....D av1_vaapi            AV1 (VAAPI) (codec av1)
 A....D wmav1                Windows Media Audio 1

On my system libva is at version 2.20.0; I don't know how to see the
version of libva used internally by CinGG (if any).

I guess, as Andrew says, internal libva is out of date, or use the
system one directly.
Important missing, besides the Intel ones, is av1_nvenc. I don't know
if it depends on my system which is AMD and therefore doesn't have
Cuda, or you have to manually enable the library. I see that Phyllis'
system has only two libraries for av1 and all the others are missing.
I additionally have only av1_vaapi. @Terje, you also use a rolling,
can you see the encoders of CinGG's internal ffmpeg and the system
libva version?

I am attaching a new version of the preset for av1_vaapi, but there
are many conditions for it to work: you have to install CinGG
(appimage is no good, unless you know how to open and recreate it);
new generation GPU (Nvidia 4000; AMD Radeon 7000; Intel Xe 2 or Intel
Arc); system with updated libva (possibly Rolling...). If anyone meets
the requirements, I would like to know if the preset works or what
errors it gives. I used average options between quality and speed but
could not test them because I lack the right hardware.