[Cin] ms2130 hdmi-usb dongles

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 23:34:10 CET 2023

пн, 13 февр. 2023 г., 01:15 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:

> Den 08.02.2023 21:05, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>

> https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/11/07/ms2130-based-4k-hdmi-to-usb-3-0-video-capture-dongle-sells-for-19/
>
> "I learned about the video capture dongle via Mateusz Starzak
> <https://twitter.com/MateuszStarzak/status/1589595781971181568> who
> purchased a sample on Aliexpress
> <https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_Dd6uEUB> and confirmed support for
> uncompressed YUV @ 1080p60. He also mentioned the latency to be around 6 to
> 11 frames depending on the resolution with 720p input to 720p output only
> looking slightly faster than 1080p input to 1080p output."
>

> My tests with the return-object Hama ms2109 uncovered it failed on FHD
> video due to unuseable 5 fps, while it managed 422 subsampling and 8-bit
> color depth.
>
> I mentioned I have ms2130 in order, yes.
>
> Reading from the ms2130 specs:
>
>     Support input resolution up to 4K at 30Hz;
>     Support output resolution up to 1080P at 60Hz YUY2;
>     Support 24/30/36bit Deep color;
>

> The different way to specify color depth/color precision/bit depth: 8-bits
> or 10-bits is confusing.

I think they refer to *input* side of equation, i.e.  what type of hdmi
signal it can eat .... what comes out of other end .... we will hopefully
see!

> Regarding "24/30/36bit Deep color" I found the following in wikipedia:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#True_color_(24-bit)
> True color (24-bit)
>
>     24 bits almost always use 8 bits each of R, G, and B (8 bpc).
>     224 gives 16,777,216 color variations.
>     humans can see the changes between some adjacent colors as color
> banding.
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#Deep_color_(30-bit)
> Deep color (30-bit)
>
>     Deep color consists of a billion or more colors.[15] 230 is
> 1,073,741,824. Usually this is 10 bits each of red, green, and blue (10
> bpc).
>     36-bit
>     Using 12 bits per color channel produces 36 bits, 68,719,476,736
> colors.
>

> well, I hope Terje's camera can be switched into hdmi progressive output
> mode .....
>

> Yes, and it has already proved to do this even better than first expected,
> I think.
> Again, according to S. Mullen's handbook for V1 and FX7 (who mentioned
> BMD's capture cards in this context):
>
> Sony’s 3ClearVid technology is tightly integrated with Sony’s Enhanced
> Imaging Processor (EIP). According to Sony, the EIP works at
> 1920x1080 in a 4:2:2 color space. The EIP has a 2-million-pixel buffer for
> each of the three primary colors.
>
> When the camera is operating, the EIP generates uncompressed 1440x1080i
> with a 4:2:2 color space. Uncompressed 4:2:2, 8-bit,
> digital video plus dual-channel, PCM, 16-bit, 48kHz audio are output via
> the HDMI port, while 4:2:2 analog is output via component-out.

Another interesting output then, for this specific camera? (component out -
3 cables confusingly colored as red-green-blue, even if they carry
luminance and color-differentials)

> Therefore, you can record 4:2:2 live HD video from the camera without
> MPEG-2 compression.
>
> According ot my tests FX7 created FHD 1920x080p, 8-bit 422 video..
> I also tested 1440x1080 video size, which was not listed among v4l2
> supported format. This format was automatically encoded as 1280x1024.
>
> So I also wondered how it was possible to get encoded (SD) 720x576 and
> 1280x1024, though they supported by v4l2/capture card?

no idea ...sometimes device just scale automatically in hardware ...

I think the interesting explanation also has been found in Mullen's