[Cin] executable stacks are bad...m-kay?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:58:41 CET 2023

чт, 12 янв. 2023 г., 06:21 Rob Prowel <rprowel at comcast.net>:

> On 1/11/23 07:37, Andrew Randrianasulu wrote:
> > ср, 11 янв. 2023 г., 13:30 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com
> >:
> >
> > can you check if something like attached patch fixes it for you?
> >
> > i hope it was only o file with missing GNU.stack
> > note, old linkers may dislike this and also it seems clang linker (lld)
> > default on termux does this by default ....
>
> re -- patch
>
> -LDFLAGS1 = -Wl,-export-dynamic -g
> +LDFLAGS1 = -Wl,-export-dynamic -g -Wl,-z,noexecstack
>
> Are you sure you want to do this?  Is is portable?

I'll try to check on few systems where cingg builds - FreeBSD, NetBSD,
various linux from ubuntu to Rosa to Slackware (we do not build on Irix,
Solaris, HP-UX .... And cygwin  probably uses gnu binutils?)

I asked more if patch was working for you in this case ...even if it turned
to be unportable we can selectively apply it....

> Might an alternate solution have merit? ie scanning the blob resources
> and saving their hex data as static arrays and then compiling and
> linking the resulting .o files, which presumable only contain .data
> segments?  Increases build time and complexity but seems more portable.

thanks for idea .... I think pngtoh tool in guicast tries to do that.
(turns png into data arrays inside header)