[Cin] dvdcreate and filempeg patches

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 17:54:42 CEST 2023

[snip]

>> Here were a lot to sort out:
>
> The dvd-wide-ffmpeg+mpeg2enc.m2v from here is also scaled or streched too
> high in vertical direction.

may be add "expand" filter after crop, so image dimensions will be back to
dvd standard?

VLC deinterlaced on playback  (keyboard D) on interlaced m2v gives better
> quality.
>

>>> In comparision the ffmpeg command line I have used is:
>>> ffmpeg  -i dv01.dv -f dvd -target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9 -vb 8000k -mbd rd
>>> -trellis 1 -cmp 0 -subcmp 2 -vf crop=iw-0-0:ih-106-65:0:
>>> which results in progressive and DAR 16:9, but still not so good edge
>>> quality
>>>

> May be "progressive" here is error, and ffmpeg still encodes
> interlaced-as-progressive, so VLC for example does not enable deinterlacer
> at playback automatically?
>

> VLC Deinterlaced ON playback of Progressive  dvd-wide-dv01.mpg results in
> more coarced jagged or saw-toothed round edges
>

> Have you tried to add interlaced flags manually to ffmpeg's command line?
>
> -flags +ilme+ildct  gives interlaced bff

Yeah, I just suspect ffmpeg was defaulting to progressive flags in stream
and progressive setting for mpeg2 encoder  WITHOUT automatically inserting
deinterlacer, so result was plainly wrong.

Metadata copy by default was apparently fixed in 4.4, yet interlace may
remain corner case ...

[snip]