[Cin] Cinepaint-0.25 oyranos

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Mon May 29 12:00:39 CEST 2023

пн, 29 мая 2023 г., 11:07 Andrea paz <gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com>:

> I use Argyll as a CMS to manage ICCs and DisplayCal to examine
> profiles. Is there a need to try to install another server moreover
> abandoned for years?

If your monitor can switch  automatically or manually from wide-gamut mode
to sRGB - no pressing need. Some monitors apparently stuck in wide-gamut
mode, so sRGB content look over-colored on them.

I was just wondering if this technology worked "as described" for real pro
monitors..

I do not think server itself is abandoned by author, he still does minor
work on it, just because it was not adopted by big distros users remain
mostly unaware about its existence, and only few dig deeper.

PS: Cinepaint evokes for me old memories of fighting with Gimp
> developers who stubbornly didn't want to implement 16-32 bits (or even
> other color spaces: they stubbornly stuck to sRGB alone).

Well, as you can guess from codebase there is plenty of math, and doing it
even slightly wrong will ruin your photo experience and may be photos
themselves.

Also gtk1-> GTK2 -> GTK3 move tend to keep them busy .....

p.s. I tested live cd and it works slowly on qemu with kvm and swrast as 3d
driver, but qcmsevents icon remain grey - no CM inside virtual machine ...