[Cin] HDR footage from images via ffmpeg

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:08:54 CEST 2023

> is HDR basically "some 8 or 10 bit tech + wide gamut light emitting"?

I am not familiar with HDR. All I know is theoretical and dated
(Brinkmann's book on compositing).
HDR can only be in floating point, using a normalized color range (0-1
instead of 0-255, etc.). In fact in floating point it is possible to
have values above 1 while in 8, 10 -bit it is not possible to have
values above the limits.
Upon receiving an HDR video signal, there are algorithms to map and
balance these values on SDR or HDR displays. This is called tone
mapping.
To summarize it is necessary:
1- An HDR video signal (usually obtained by merging multiple frames at
different exposures).
2- A tone mapping tool
3- A suitable display (usually high nits, i.e., brilliance)