[Cin] Plugins in integer or in float

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 09:49:04 CET 2023

I did some tests to see which of the major CC plugins use floats and
which use integers.
It turns out that only Blue Banana and Gamma support values above the
range (0-1.0). Histogram Bezier reads values above 1.0 but does not
use them, returning the usual clip.
I start by showing the original image (png) where we can see details
in the brightly lit window. In Compositor we don't see those details,
getting only pure whites. So CinGG does not support HDR, as we already
know (project setting to RGBA-FLOAT). However, even if we don't see
them the details are there. To see them we have to do Tone Mapping,
for example by decreasing the brightness levels until the values above
1.0 are back inside the range.
With the Histogram plugin you can easily do this by lowering the white
point along the vertical. No plugins show the details hidden in the
white point except Blue Banana and Gamma. Since HDR is handled only in
floating point (there are no values outside the range 0-255 or 0-1023,
etc.), then I believe that all plugins work on integers except the two
mentioned above.
The test video can be found here:
https://streamable.com/rh62t9