[Cin] Still on hardware acceleration

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 09:59:22 CEST 2023

@Andrew
Sorry to bother you again on a subject you have already tried to
explain over and over again.

Reading this page:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro
it is my understanding that when decoding (note: from here on I am
only referring to decoding/playback!) you can use the "-hwaccel"
option without any other settings. If the media file used supports
hardware acceleration, then it will be used automatically without
anything else to do. If it is not supported it will automatically
switch to software decoding. There is no need to specify the device
(because a device is automatically selected, even if it is not the
preferred one), so it would be a generic feature that decides for
itself when to run.
Question, how can I impose "-hwaccel" when compiling CinGG?

Another thing concerns decoding with Vulkan. Again, these are generic
instructions and I would like to test it, however it requires device
initialization, to be declared explicitly (although a generic term is
fine: "vulkan=vk:0") and a few other options. See here:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro#Vulkan
The question is always the same: How can I compile vulkan in CinGG to
do some tests?