[Cin] Pancake editing

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 10:58:34 CEST 2023

Also from the YouTube channel "Film Editing Pro" is an overview of 3
editing methods:

1- three points editing (Two Screen Editing, in CinGG)
2- Timeline editing (Cut and Paste + Drag and Drp, in CinGG)
3- Pancake (stacked) editing

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsohm9SE9Mk
Panckake editing start at 3:31

Only Premiere Pro has pancake editing functionality [Note: actually
Lighworks and even DaVinci Resolve have this functionality]. PP indeed
allows you to open multiple timelines, place them on top of each other
in a stack, and operate between clips of these with Drag and Drop. One
feature of pancake editing is the ability to see a timeline on the
Source Monitor (our Viewer window); thus one timeline is seen on one
monitor and the other on the other monitor (The classic Program
Monitor -Compositor window, in CinGG). In fact, it would be difficult
to do editing without seeing the contents of the clips on the monitor.
In CinGG, in my opinion, we can do a workaround that simulates pancake
editing even though it is not quite the same. Just open multiple
instances of CinGG, bring the program windows of all instances closer
together, and operate between timelines not with Drag and Drop but
with Cut and Paste. We can't display a timeline in the Viewer window,
but we don't need to since each instance's timeline carries its own
Compositor window where to see the contents of the edits. I am
convinced that opening multiple instances of CinGG is no more heavy
than opening multiple timelines in PP.
What are your thoughts on this?