[Cin] amdgpu_top

Andrea paz gamberucci.andrea at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:44:27 CEST 2024

I use system monitor from KDE.
I tried loading into CinGG an 8k video; 60 fps; AV1
(supported by vaapi) and mkv. I ran the playback, but I do not detect
GPU utilization.
The GPU load varies from 0 to 10%, but these are normal variations
that are repeated even
with GPU at rest. The CPU has a load of about 30%.
With the appimage I have: GPU = Same values. CPU = about 60%.

Confirmation is the terminal message:
"Decoder libdav1d does not support device type vaapi."

I also tried vdpau (which for AMD GPU is a wrapper that leads to vaapi) and the
result is the same:
"Decoder libdav1d does not support device type vdpau."

I tried a second video: 4k; 60 fps; HEVC; mp4. The video does not load
and I have numerous
errors like:

"file: /home/paz/video_editing/free_video/Life Untouched 4K Demo.mp4
int FFVideoConvert::convert_picture_vframe(VFrame*, AVFrame*, AVFrame*):
Error retrieving data from GPU to CPU"

With appimage I have no loading errors, but still the GPU is not engaged:

"file:/home/paz/video_editing/free_video/Life Untouched 4K Demo.mp4
  err: Operation not permitted
Failed HW device create.
dev:vaapi
  err: Input/output error
HW device init failed, using SW decode."

Finally using mpv from the command line (set to vaapi):

$ mpv 'Life Untouched 4K Demo.mp4'

GPU = 30-60%
CPU = 0-2%