[Cin] HDV is really 4 channel?

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 00:54:15 CET 2024

ср, 17 янв. 2024 г., 02:07 Terje J. Hanssen <terjejhanssen at gmail.com>:

> Den 16.01.2024 23:32, skrev Andrew Randrianasulu:
>

> ср, 17 янв. 2024 г., 01:14 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com>:
>

>> ср, 17 янв. 2024 г., 01:04 Andrew Randrianasulu <randrianasulu at gmail.com
>> >:

>>> yeah, seems to be rarely supported on HDV cameras, see
>>>
>>> https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=171688
>>>
>>> but still!
>>>

>> https://ieba.wordpress.com/2008/01/21/hdv-grows-up-sonys-hvr-s270-and-hvr-z7/
>>
>> =====
>> *4-Channel Audio*
>> The HDV specification, like the DV specification, has allowed for
>> four-channel audio recording from the outset. Few cameras took advantage of
>> it, and when they did, it was an add-on that did not maintain full balanced
>> audio throughout. Though the smaller Sony HVR-Z7 records only two channels
>> of audio, the larger HVR-S270 has two XLR inputs in the front of the
>> camcorder and two XLR inputs on the back of the camcorder. Each one has a
>> separate audio level control and an automatic level control switch on the
>> side of the camcorder.
>> =====
>>

> and samples:
>
> https://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-125966-p-46.html
>
> =====
>
> As you can see 4 channel audio is part of the HDV format. I am not sure if
> there are actually 2 audiostreams or only 1. There is no way I can check
> this because the camera itself only outputs the 4 ch and no 2 ch. But the
> computer will only play a 2 ch. But when you compare the MediaInfo audio
> information with the specs I expect that there are 2 audio stream just like
> eac3to detects. It would be very very nice if HDV support can be integrated
> into eac3to because many professional cameramen are looking for an solution.
>
> Currently eac3to extracts the m2v and 2ch audio stream fine. Only the 4
> channel stream isn't detected nor extracted. I uploaded 2 sample to my
> server for analysis:
> http://tools.twanwintjes.nl/uploads/temp/00_0001_2010-11-07_153401.M2T
> (49 seconds / 152MB) - Right Click --> Save As
> http://tools.twanwintjes.nl/uploads/temp/00_0002_2010-11-07_214302.M2T
> (44 seconds / 137MB) - Right Click --> Save As
>

> ====
>
> yes, files still there :)
>
> Yeah, I saw some of the forum threads and had a look on the sample files.
> For me they the ffprobe outputs were identical with my own hdv.m2t files.
> I think as Mullen wrote, the limit for miniDV or HDV tapes was utilized
> for 1080i HD2 with 25 Mbps.
> Only the 720p HD2 format with 19 Mbps had PCM tracs free for later use.
> Maybe other camcorders..

=====

.2.1.8 Adaptive Multichannel Prediction
Adaptive multichannel prediction is used to reduce the inter-channel
redundancy. When using multichannel
prediction, the signals in the transmission channels T2..T4 are predicted
from the signals in the MPEG-1 compatible
part of the bit stream (Lo, Ro). Instead of the actual signals in a subband
group, the prediction error is transmitted,
together with predictor coefficients and delay compensation.
=======

from

https://courses.e-ce.uth.gr/CE401/tree_menu/tutorials/MPEG2/13818-3.pdf