[Cin] SD 16:9 missing among CinGG BD-Render Video Formats

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 01:14:06 CET 2024

Den 17.01.2024 20:22, skrev Andrea paz:
>> @ Andrea,
>> I forgot to ask if you have a chance to make some screenshots examples?
>> I think it will ease a lot to clarify the text. ;)
> @Terje
> One idea is to put some pictures, another is to make a video to put
> privately on CinGG's Youtube channel; so you can only watch it from
> the link in the manual. It seems to me that too many pictures in an
> appendix weighs down the manual too much. However, I don't have a
> problem with putting pictures up.

Good idea with video ;)

> With your other file (5sec_dv01_03.dv) what test do you propose to do?

I postet it mostly because you wanted it, possibly to compare HDV and DV
formats.
As known, SD DV has been the most widespread digital video format
(before HDV and later FHD took over).
All my analog Hi8 (SVideo) tape kasettes have been digitized via an A/D
converter to SD-DV format.
This plain PAL 4:3 DV with PCM audio could possibly be used as a
"minitest" for DVD Render and BD Render.
But I think  Phyllis has used a lot DV format of more useful clip lengts
to this purpose, maybe already in the manual(?)

> One thing that is still unclear to me is why CinGG and ffmpeg indicate
> SAR instead of PAR. How this affects the workflow and whether their
> SAR is something new that applies to both normal SAR and PAR, or
> whether it just changes the name but remains a "pixel aspect ratio."

One answer on StackExchange:
SAR is defined in MPEG-2 spec (ISO/IEC 13818-2) as sample aspect ratio.
There is no PAR. Storage Aspect Ratio appears to be invented by some app
vendor.
https://superuser.com/questions/1702195/whats-the-difference-between-sar-par-in-video-detailed-info

Yet, with DAR = SAR * PAR

HDV 1080i:   16/9 = (1440/1080) * (4/3) = 1.7778
HDV 1280p:  16/9 = (1280/720) * (1/1) = 1.7778