[Cin] DAR, PAR and SAR, again

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 21:43:32 CET 2024

Den 22.01.2024 13:30, skrev Igor BEGHETTO via Cin:
> @Andrew_Randrianasulu wrote:
>> May be result depend on (software) player? Terje used VLC, I used
>> mplayer/mpv
> My Media players on UbuntuStudio_16.04-LTS-64bit are:
> - Parole Media Players v0.8.1
> - VLC Media Player v2.2.2
> - ffplay V2.8.6-1ubuntu2 20160311
> All of them read anamorphic video correctly, source and outputs by
> Cinelerra-GG's rendering.
>
> @Andrea_paz wrote:
>> What I don't understand is that you see correctly on the Compositor.
> My source video is 720x576 at 25 DAR=16:9.
> When I load it in a new project the Settings-> Format... is: W=720;
> H=576 AspectRatio=4/3 Auto=CHECKED.
> The image in Compositor is shown wrong. For example, a circle is shown
> narrowed horizontally.
> Because I know that the video is 16/9, I change the Aspect Ratio to
> 16:9 (Auto=UNchecked) and the image in the Compositor is shown correctly.
> I do the rendering. Using the media players listed above (in reply to
> Andrew) and in ffprobe I can see all right.
>
> @Andrea_paz wrote:
>> I think that's what Terje is trying in vain to get me to understand:
>> all you need is the size of the starting frame, the ending frame, and
>> a convesion factor if you need one (the "pixel" or "sample" aspect
>> ratio).
> If Terje is using different format video in the same project that way
> is wrong, I think!
> He have to use a plugin (Scale or Scale Rate) or change the size in
> the Media folder and using Size tool, there.

No, I loaded a single 16:9 SD-DV file or a single 1080i HDV file and
rendered them to AV1.webm
The file(s) were stored and displayed with various SAR or DAR aspect
errors as posted here
https://lists.cinelerra-gg.org/pipermail/cin/2024-January/007693.html
or better I suggest to read/scan the thread from the beginning.