[Cin] removing letter boxing while preserving aspect

Terje J. Hanssen terjejhanssen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 21:28:36 CET 2024

Den 03.03.2024 14:40, skrev Rob Prowel via Cin:
> I have 3:2 content that is saved in a 4:3 frame with black bands at
> the top and bottom.
>
> I want to remove the banding such that the output is a 3:2 resolution
> clip WITHOUT DISTORTING THE ORIGINAL CONTENT.
>
> I've tried playing with the crop filter but the black bands remain,
> and the camera automation can remove the banding by zooming in, but
> then the left and right image sides get cropped out of the output.
>
> Is there a tutorial for this exact scenario?

You can possibly try a test on a file or clip copy using ffmpeg "crop
and resize".
If I understand the problem right, keep the original w(idth) of the
video resolution and use h=w*2/3=w/1.5

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf "crop=w:h" output.mp4

according to this article example
https://www.bannerbear.com/blog/how-to-crop-resize-a-video-using-ffmpeg/#example---aspect-ratio-with-no-position-specified