[Cin] vaapi vs appimage, kdenlive way

Phyllis Smith phylsmith2017 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 19:56:08 CEST 2024

As far as I know, the goal is for the new released AppImages to work on
other computers that have VAAPI and VDPAU hardware graphics capabilities
even if at different levels of the operating system than the computer where
the AppImage was created.

But so far, I have not been able to either get a good test or any good
results.  (BTW credit goes to Andrew for suggestion to try this + all of
the advice I need to do so).

Latest test results:
- created AppImage on older Fedora version 31 which is HP/Intel chip where
both VAAPI and VDPAU work.

- main.C currently contains the 2 lines shown below (have not tested
Andrew's newest suggestion yet)

> setenv("LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH","/usr/lib/dri:/usr/lib64/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri:/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri",1);
>
> setenv("VDPAU_DRIVER_PATH","/usr/lib/vdpau:/var/lib/snapd/lib/gl/vdpau:/var/lib/snapd/lib/gl",1);

- on the AMD laptop running Fedora 32 VAAPI gives the following errors just
doing a single load:

> Failed HW device create.
> dev:vaapi
>   err: Input/output error
> HW device init failed, using SW decode.
> file:/root/media/tutorial.mp4
>   err: Operation not permitted
> Failed HW device create.
> dev:vaapi
>   err: Input/output error

HW device init failed, using SW decode.
> file:/root/media/tutorial.mp4
>   err: Operation not permitted
> Failed HW device create.
> dev:vaapi
>   err: Input/output error
> HW device init failed, using SW decode.
> file:/root/media/tutorial.mp4
>   err: Operation not permitted
> Failed HW device create.
> dev:vaapi
>   err: Input/output error
> HW device init failed, using SW decode.

file:/root/media/tutorial.mp4
>   err: Operation not permitted

- a single load of VDPAU works (but I seem to have in my brain, that this
gets simulated somehow)

More experimentation is coming with some variations.