[Cin] Forum registration with HotMail

Georgy Salnikov sge at nmr.nioch.nsc.ru
Sun May 12 08:15:11 CEST 2024

On Sat, 11 May 2024, Andrea paz via Cin wrote:

> A problem with registration via HotMail was posted on the forum.
> https://www.cinelerra-gg.org/forum/announcements-and-updates/registration-mail-and-hotmail/#post-2756
> Can anyone who has server knowledge or has HotMail give some useful pointers?

Somewhen there was a problem with DMARC. But now there is not: I can see in
the headers: spf=pass dmarc=pass. Activation mail is sent from another
sender address: not @lists.cinelerra-gg.org, but @cinelerra-gg.org. However,
in the DNS TXT record for cinelerra-gg.org there is the same "v=spf1" text
as for lists.cinelerra-gg.org. Therefore, probably not this reason.

There was another problem with activation: the user "admin at cinelerra-gg.org"
whose name stands in the From: header of the activation mail cannot receive
emails and therefore cannot pass the so called "MX callback" used by some
mailservers for antispam. Workaround for the cin administrator: create the
user "admin at cinelerra-gg.org" who will receive emails, and then he will pass
MX callback. Workaround for the user: put "admin at cinelerra-gg.org" in the
whitelist so that the MX callback would not get executed for this address
(this was what I did somewhen for registration of mine).

The third possible problem source: Spamhaus. Many mailservers in the world
use spamhaus.org services for spam block lists. Recently I have discovered
that something has changed in the spamhaus' algorithms, although I don't
know what exactly.

Georgy

Georgy Salnikov
NMR Group
Novosibirsk Institute of Organic Chemistry
Lavrentjeva, 9, 630090 Novosibirsk, Russia
Phone   +7-383-3307864
Email   sge at nmr.nioch.nsc.ru