[Cin] Timeline: Move the clips with new features

Sam cinelerra at posteo.de
Mon Dec 24 20:05:21 CET 2018

Am 24.12.18 um 14:42 schrieb Igor BEGHETTO:
> GG/Phyllis, thanks for the Cin-GG built: Dec 23 2018 18:36:53
> Really good.
>
> Some considerations.
> Setting -> Preferences -> Clear before toggle = checked
> 1) when you change mode from “Drag and Drop editing mode” to “Cut and
> paste editing mode”, all the clips/groups selected should be cleared.
> 2) in “Drag and Drop editing mode”: select only a clip with LMB, if I
> select again the same clip/group, it should be cleared. Now I have to
> use Ctrl+LMB or Ctrl+Shift+A to deselect that clip; so, it is not bad,
> for me it is really good, then the info for the user is needed.

I agree with you. It's a good thing.

> 3) Ctrl+LMB for multiple selections and Shift+LMB for group/ungroup is
> really perfect! I think it is really similar to other software, also
> not NLE. Really good!
>
> I would suggested some things and I would like to know what do you
> (Developers, Sam, and you all are reading) think about. Thanks.
> A) If the improve (the add) about the drag with hold down LMB (Left
> Mouse Button ) a clip/group, without to select that clip/group before
> (in "Drag and Drop editing mode"), will be done, then the option
> “Clear before toggle” in Preference could be delete?

It concerns the feature that Phyllis, GG and I like very much. Therefore
it makes no sense to remove this option again. This option was
introduced to give you multiple selection with CTRL + mouse click. The
option “Clear before toggle” in Preference doesn't affect the one-click
drag procedure as I understood it.

> B) Move a few options from submenu with MMB to submenu with RMB: Find
> in Resources, Show edit, User title Bar color.

There are two different context menus. One context menu is Track related
and the other context menu is Clip related. The way GG did it is
logically correct. With your suggestion you would move clip related
actions (Find in Resources, Show edit, User title Bar color) to track
related actions, but that wouldn't be correct.

> C) In “Cut and paste editing mode” the MMB go away (for the others
> next features with others options?)

Why? Sorry, I still don't understand what the reason for this suggestion
is. This one more option gives me more flexibility. I can copy and paste
individual clips elsewhere, even though I am in this mode. This saves me
one step.  Also, this action is optional, why should we remove an
optional capability?

> D) In “Drag and Drop editing mode” you will have all:
> - MMB: Clear select, Copy, Cut, Mute, Copy pack, Cut pack, Mute pack,
> Paste, Overwrite.
> - RMB: Attach effect…, Move Up, Move Dn, Delete track, Add track,
> Resize track…, Match output size, Find in Resources, Show edit, User
> title Bar color.
> - Ctrl+LMB for multiple selections.
> - Shift+LMB for group/ungroup.
> - Mouse over a clip/group, hold down LMB and drag to move (see A point)

Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate it very much, even if we
disagree with some of the above points.

Sam