[Cin] Help with performance problems

Andrew Randrianasulu randrianasulu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 11:56:09 CET 2019

В сообщении от Saturday 07 December 2019 17:11:55 Daniel Kinzelman написал(а):
> Hi there,
>
> I am running AVLinux on an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz.  This
> is an 8-core CPU with hyperthreading.  The system has 32GB of RAM.
>
> I am getting what I consider to be very slow render times and wanted to
> know if something is set up wrong.
>
> As a test, I imported a 1080p video from my camera, looped it several times
> and rendered it with no effects or compositing.  For a 4 minute video it
> took about 12 minutes to render as an .mp4.

Well, not sure if CinelerraGG in AVlinux actually up to date - there was both introduction of va-api
decode/encode and breakage of it, and fix later this year :}

What exactly your Cinelerra prints at startup , if you run it from terminal (konsole, xterm, etc)?
Mine shows:

cin
Cinelerra Infinity - built: Dec  1 2019 13:54:16
git://git.cinelerra-gg.org/goodguy/cinelerra.git
(c) 2006-2019 Heroine Virtual Ltd. by Adam Williams
2007-2020 mods for Cinelerra-GG by W.P.Morrow aka goodguy
Cinelerra is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License,
and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under
certain conditions. There is absolutely no warranty for Cinelerra.

Session time: 0:00:39
Cpu time: user: 0:00:03.780 sys: 0:00:00.570

(just open and close program)

You can try to set HW device in preferences to vdpau/va-api, and also play with (software)
x264 encoding parameters (num. of threads, for example, or try preset "fast").

You can also try to set project's colorspace to something less demanding
I have it set to

 cat ~/.bcast5/Cinelerra_rc | grep RGBA
COLOR_MODEL RGBA-8 Bit

but you can change it to

cat ~/.bcast5/Cinelerra_rc | grep YUV
COLOR_MODEL YUVA-8 Bit

(if I understand correctly h264 video from camera still in yuv420 colorspace, less data to move around)

> CPU usage never went above 23% and memory usage never went above 19%.
>
> Here is a screenshot showing input file characteristics, project format,
> the video render options, and performance settings for Cinelerra.
>
> [image: Screenshot_2019-12-07_15-06-33.jpg]
>
> When I ingest files from the camera in my normal workflow, I immediately
> convert them into a lower bitrate because the camera sensor quality has no
> need of 25mbps video directly with FFMpeg.  It usually does much better
> than real time.  I'm wondering what causes Cinelerra renders to be so slow,
> and whether there are any settings I can modify to improve rendering
> performance.
>
> Side-note: Even opening 12 1080p video streams at once on Cinelerra doesn't
> occupy much RAM on my computer, although performance becomes very poor.  Is
> there a way to understand why Cinelerra doesn't use more RAM?

I don't think more RAM will help (directly), whole sequence between (video codec) keyframes
must be decoded, either by CPU or by GPU (and transferred via PCIe to main memory in last case).

You can try proxy files or new 'transcode' option ....

From Phyllis's email ["[Cin] New builds ready on the cinelerra-gg.org website", Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 14:15:30 -0700 ]

--
  *Transcode 1:1* is now available in the Settings pulldown which
provides a method to convert to a

For hw encoding try one of those _vaapi choices (in rendering/transcode dialog, video codec choice), it really not automagic.
Not sure how well or bad nv (nvidia) specific options work, I have older GPU with free drivers (nouveau).